- Computer Science - MS
- Computer Science - PSM
- Entry Level Master of Science in Nursing
- Master of Advocacy and Political Leadership
- Master of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Business Administration - MBA
- Master of Science in Co-occurring Disorders Recovery Counseling
- Master of Management Information Systems - MMIS
- Master of Public and Nonprofit Administration - MPNA
- Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy
- Master of Science in Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Liberal Studies - MLS
- Master of Science in Urban Education
- Nonprofit Leadership and Management Program - MNLM
- Public Administration - MPA
- Technical Communication - MS
- Doctoral Programs
- Graduate Certificates
- Graduate Admissions Resources
Jul 1Fall Semester
Nov 15Spring Semester
Mar 15Summer Term
*U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents International Students (outside U.S.) and International Students (in U.S.)
International Students (outside U.S.)
May 1Fall Semester
Sep 1Spring Semester
No Summer Admissions
Applications are not complete until all requirements are met and fee received. Please allow 7-10 business days for review once all required application materials are received and sent to the College of Community Studies and Public Affairs Graduate Admissions Committee.
Late applications: applications will continue to be accepted beyond the deadline, however we cannot guarantee admission, though we can defer admission to the next available semester.
Incomplete applications will be moved to the next available semester for up to three terms total, giving applicants who need it, up to one year to complete their application file.
A complete application file consists of two parts (three for international applicants.) Begin by completing the online graduate application. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned.
- Complete the Online Graduate Application – You will use your Minnesota State StarID to complete the application. If you don't have a Minnesota State StarID you will create one at the beginning of the application.
- If you do not have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN) please follow the No SSN instructions to activate your StarID.
- If you encounter difficulty with the online application please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- $20 non-refundable application fee; pay online
- Waived for graduates of Metropolitan State, and for certified veterans & active military.
- Official transcripts
- Transcript showing a baccalaureate degree or equivalent earned from a regionally accredited institution with grade-point average or narrative description describing courses completed.
- Transcripts from any graduate or professional programs are required.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES.
- Electronic transcripts (preferred) should be sent to email@example.com
- Paper transcripts should be sent directly from the sending institution (preferred) to: Metropolitan State University
Attn: Graduate Admissions
700 East Seventh Street
Saint Paul MN 55106
After you have submitted your online application, log in to the Applicant Portal using your Start ID and password to upload application materials, and check on the status of your application. The Applicant Portal will indicate missing application items.
- Current Resume; upload via the Applicant Portal using your StarID.
- One year of professional work experience is recommended for the program; volunteer experience will be considered in addition to employment.
- Two Professional Letters of Recommendation; upload via the Applicant Portal using your StarID.
- Two letters of recommendation from employers or others who can attest to the importance of the master's degree in enhancing your professional development and commenting on your ability to pursue and successfully complete a graduate program. Personal recommendations, including family, are not accepted.
- Math Assessment: The MNLM program recently teamed up with ALEKS.com to create a free, online math assessment specifically designed for our applicants. Essential Math Skills for Business is a free, online, self-paced math assessment that will teach you the skills you need to succeed. To register:
- Apply to the MPNA first (see Part One) and submit your admission essay (see below).
- Email your name and StarID to firstname.lastname@example.org and request your assessment and individual access codes.
- 85% of topics must be mastered in order to successfully complete the assessment.
- You have 60 days to complete the assessment, and the assessment must be complete by the application deadline.
- Admission Essay; upload via the Applicant Portal using your StarID. Your admission essay will serve as both a goals statement and a writing assessment. The admissions essay is extremely important to the application review process. Submit your essay in 600-700 words (about three pages) in 12-point font, double-spaced, clearly written, well-organized, with correct grammar, accurate spelling and punctuation, good sentence structure, and clear sub-headings. Make sure that you carefully address each of the following:
- Pledge of Authorship: Please begin your admissions essay with the following statement: (Your essay will not be accepted if this is not included.) I, [complete name]____________________________________, verify that this admissions essay is my own work, and I am fully aware that discovery otherwise will invalidate my entire application.
- Describe the kinds of responsibilities and positions you have held in your past work and professional experience (volunteer or employed).
- Explain why you are pursuing a graduate degree at this time in public and nonprofit administration, nonprofit leadership and management, public administration, or arts and cultural heritage management. Give particular attention to the area of service in which you work or plan to work.
- Describe the important features of a public issue, problem, or policy that you consider important to understand and address in your area of service.
Part Three - International Students Only
In addition to parts one and two, international applicants in the U.S. or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide this information for admission to the university.
Required by the application deadline:
Official scores must be submitted, student copies are not acceptable. Metropolitan State University's school code for TOEFL is 6445.
- Proof of English proficiency (Official TOEFL or IELTS score)
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 80 IBT, 213 CBT, 550 PBT or IELTS 6.5
- IBT=internet based; CBT=computer based; PBT=paper based
Required only if admitted to the program:
If you are offered and accept admission to the program, you are required to provide this information to the International Student Services Office to complete your admission to the university.
- Financial statement (F1 visa only)
- Immunization records
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94, and international home address and phone numbers
Visit International Student Services graduate admissions for part three details.
Questions about applying to the MNLM?
Contact Gloria Eyer at email@example.com (preferred) or call 612-659-7258.
Office location: MEC Building, Office M4004, 1300 Harmon Place, Minneapolis MN 55403
Mailing address: 1501 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55403