A Life Transforming Journey
Study Abroad is a life changing educational journey, known to give a fresh and unique perspective on the United States and the world. By living and studying in another country students learn about different cultures while expanding their horizons and opening their minds.
Studying abroad brings students in direct contact with diverse peoples and viewpoints, and will expose them to ways of life different from the ones to which they are accustomed. In addition, study abroad will provide an opportunity to establish lifetime friendships.
Metropolitan State's Institute for Community Engagement and Scholarship (ICES) is the university resource for students interested in study abroad or any global experience. ICES provides assistance, referrals, and information on study abroad opportunities. If you are interested in study abroad, stop by ICES or visit the following links at MnSCU and other higher education institutions and organizations that accept students from other colleges and universities to participate in their global opportunities. For Study Abroad Financial Aid information, click here. For travel abroad health insurance, click here.
Education for Global Learning (EGL)
Metropolitan State University is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities' (MnSCU) consortium of universities and colleges that promotes global learning in the United States and abroad. Metropolitan State University has access and support from the consortium's 15 member institutions. For more information, click here. Or contact, Metropolitan State University's Study Abroad advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Exchange and Study Abroad (IESA)
International Exchange and Study Abroad (IESA) is comprised of Metropolitan State University faculty, staff and students committed to promoting
- student-designed study abroad academic opportunities;
- increased international student enrollment;
- faculty-designed courses with an international study component; and
- faculty exchange.
For more information, contact IESA Chair, Andrew Carlson at Andrew.Carlson@metrostate.edu
Study Abroad Opportunities
Metropolitan State Students Welcome
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Semester Programs
- Scotland --Fall, spring and summer sessions: Live and study in a 300 year-old castle in Dalkeith, Scotland, six miles from Edinburgh. Go to www.uwrf.edu/wis for application and information. Cost: approximately $7800 including room and board, tuition. Airfare is separate.
- Singapore -- Fall, spring, and summer sessions: Study in a cosmopolitan city that offers a world-class living environment. Go to www.ace.edu.sg for costs and deadlines.
- Costa Rica -- Spring semester 2014: This is an EGL program hosted by Ridge Water College. For information on costs and courses, contact email@example.com, or call at 320-222-5633.
- China -- Fall and spring semesters: Experience China! Set in beautiful Hangzhou, Experience China provides a rich, cultural immersion with the comfort and safety of an organized and well-staffed international learning community. Go to www.uwrf.edu/experiencechina for application and information. Deadline for spring 2014 is November 1, 2013.
- Spain / Eduardo -- Study Spanish in several destinations through Mankato State University (MSU). For costs and program information, contact James Grabowska@mnsu.edu or go to www.sampere.es.
- Italy -- Sant' Anna Institute, Sorrento, Italy. Attend semester or summer sessions. Go to www.sorrentolingue.com for additional information.
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Short-Term Programs
- Business in Hong Kong (BUSN 2900 20) – March 8 – 14, 2014. Costs; approximately $3,400 plus tuition (3 credits). Study abroad in one of the financial capitals of the world (Hong Kong) and visit one of the entertainment cities of the world (Macau). Contact Dan Creed at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-358-8689 for information and application or sing-up online at www.passports.com (tour #DCREED2013-2).
- Business in India (ACCT 1900) – May 17 – 25, 2014. Costs: approximately $5,400 plus tuition (2 credits). Learn about business and accounting practices of India while visiting some of the most historical sites in the world. For information, contact Ash Patel at email@example.com or 952-358-8311.
- History of Europe (HIST 2900) – May 20 – 30, 2014. Costs: approximately $3609.00 plus tuition (2 credits). Study the history of Europe with stops in England, France, and Germany. Contact Bernard Maegi at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-358-8681.
- Business in Russia (BUSN 1900) – July 14 – July 22, 2014. Costs; approximately $3, 900 plus tuition (3 credits). Study business models in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Contact Dan Creed at email@example.com or 952-358-8689 for information and application or sign-up online at explorica.com (tour code – Creed -3050).
For information on all trips, contact Dan Creed at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-358-8689 or go to www.normandale.edu/studyabroad.
Advanced Study Abroad Opportunities
The Fulbright US Student Program: Engaging with the World
Program participants pursue graduate or professional study, advanced research or English teaching in elementary and secondary schools or universities. Each year, approximately 1,500 US students traveling to more than 130 countries receive support from the Fulbright US Student Program.
For additional information, contact: Maythee.Kantar@metrostate.edu.
For international exchange and study abroad resources and links, click here.
If you have any questions, or need assistance, please contact the Institute for Community Engagement and Scholarship, email@example.com.