A Life Transforming Journey
Study Abroad is a life changing educational journey which is known to give a fresh and unique perspective on the United States and the world. By living and studying in another country students learn about different cultures while expanding their horizons and opening their minds.
Studying abroad brings students in direct contact with diverse peoples and viewpoints, and will expose them to ways of life different from the ones to which they are accustomed. In addition, study abroad will provide an opportunity to establish lifetime friendships.
Metropolitan State's Institute for Community Engagement and Scholarship (ICES) is the university resource for students interested in study abroad or any global experience. ICES provides assistance, referrals, and information on study abroad opportunities. If you are interested in study abroad, stop by ICES or visit the following links at MnSCU and other higher education institutions and organizations that accept students from other colleges and universities to participate in their global opportunities. For Study Abroad Financial Aid information, click here. For travel abroad health insurance, click here.
Education for Global Learning (EGL)
Metropolitan State University is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities' (MnSCU) consortium of universities and colleges that promotes global learning in the United States and abroad. Metropolitan State University has access and support from the consortium's 15 member institutions. For more information, click here. Or contact, Metropolitan State University's Study Abroad advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Exchange and Study Abroad (IESA)
International Exchange and Study Abroad (IESA) is comprised of Metropolitan State University faculty, staff and students committed to promoting
- student-designed study abroad academic opportunities;
- increased international student enrollment;
- faculty-designed courses with an international study component; and
- faculty exchange.
For more information, contact IESA Chair, Andrew Carlson at Andrew.Carlson@metrostate.edu
Study Abroad Opportunities
Metropolitan State Students Welcome
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Semester Programs
- Singapore -- Fall, spring, and summer sessions: Study in a cosmopolitan city that offers a world-class living environment. Go to www.ace.edu.sg for costs and deadlines.
- Costa Rica -- Spring semester 2013: This is an EGL program hosted by Ridge Water College. For information on costs and courses, contact email@example.com, or call at 320-222-5633.
- China -- Fall and spring semesters: Experience China! Set in beautiful Hangzhou, Experience China provides a rich, cultural immersion with the comfort and safety of an organized and well-staffed international learning community. Go to www.uwrf.edu/experiencechinga for application and information. Deadline for spring 2013 is November 15, 2012.
- Spain / Eduardo -- Study Spanish in several destinations through Mankato State University (MSU). For costs and program information, contact James Grabowska@mnsu.edu or go to www.sampere.es.
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Short-Term Programs
- Business in Russia (BUSN 1900) – March 8-16, 2013 (spring break) Costs are approximately $3,200 plus tuition (3 credits). Study business models in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Contact Dan Creed at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-358-8689 for information and application or sign-up online at explorica.com (tour code – Creed -3050).
- Food is Culture (ANTH 1900 / HLTH 1900) – March 8-16, 2013 (spring break). Costs are approximately $4213 plus tuition (3 credits). Learn about cultural behaviors and/or nutrition and health while visiting Germany, Switzerland, and France. Contact Vicki Erdmann at email@example.com (952-358-8375) or Susan Krook at firstname.lastname@example.org (952-358-8178) for information and application.
- Communication in the Golden Age – May 18 – 27, 2013. Costs: approximately $3300 plus tuition (2 credits) and textbooks. Learn about the unique communication characteristics of these classical European cultures. Contact Aimee DuBois at email@example.com, 952-358-8693 or Jennifer Issac at firstname.lastname@example.org, 952-358-8360.
- BUSN in Hong Kong (BUSN 2900 20) – May 21-27, 2013. Costs are approximately $3713 plus tuition (3 credits). Study abroad in one of the financial capitals of the world (Hong Kong) and visit one of the entertainment cities of the world (Macau). Contact Dan Creed at email@example.com or 952-358-8689 for information and application or sing-up online at www.passports.com
For information on all trips, contact Dan Creed at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-358-8689 or go to www.normandale.edu/studyabroad.
Other Short-Term Opportunities
Summer Language Class and Cultural Immersion 2013
The Community of St. Martin is pleased to announce several intensive five-week Spanish Language and Cultural Immersion opportunities for the summer of 2013 in Guadalajara, Mexico.
The 8 hours of structured conversation on theology of liberation and popular religion will be conducted with the goal of teaching simple theological and liturgical language in Spanish. Home stays available. Weekend trips planned and guided.
This study abroad opportunity is perfect for many majors, including Religious studies, Philosophy, Ethnic studies, Lationo/a Studies, Education, Human services and Social Sciences. Talk to your academic/faculty advisor(s) for approval. Click here for a more complete description and how to apply.
Advanced Study Abroad Opportunities
The Fulbright US Student Program: Engaging with the World
Program participants pursue graduate or professional study, advanced research or English teaching in elementary and secondary schools or universities. Each year, approximately 1,500 US students traveling to more than 130 countries receive support from the Fulbright US Student Program.
For additional information, contact: Lorene.Wedeking@metrostate.edu and/or click here.
For international exchange and study abroad resources and links, click here.
If you have any questions, or need assistance, please contact the Institute for Community Engagement and Scholarship, email@example.com.