Inspire students to love writing and reading literature. Prepare for a Minnesota English Teaching License, while you enhance your teaching skills and content knowledge. You will accomplish these goals with a degree in English Teaching. Teach 5th-8th graders and 9th-12th graders to explore writing, reading, literature, speech communication, and media literacy. While completing the English Teaching BS and Urban Secondary Education Licensure, you will also:
- Explore the writing process, composition theory, and effective methods for teaching secondary students to write in different genres.
- Gain skills in teaching reading theory, reading comprehension, and text interpretation and evaluation.
- Learn how to teach the aesthetics of fiction, drama, and poetry and to help secondary students understand literature in its historical and cultural contexts.
- Explore the area of speech communication, including verbal and nonverbal speech, listening skills, public speaking, and interpersonal communication.
- Learn how to teach media literacy, including the effects of electronic media on communication.
- Gain skills in applying teaching theory and instructional strategies that truly meet studentsí needs.
Get more information about the English Teaching program
|Apply to the University
Explore the Curriculum
Explore Literature & Language Department
Explore School of Urban Education
Discover Urban Secondary Education
View Advising Information
Declare Your Program
Meet Faculty and Staff