Advertising and Business Management Major BAS
This BAS program is designed to build on specific, related, AAS programs offered primarily by technical colleges. Therefore, this BAS is only available to students who have completed specific related AAS programs approved by an official articulation agreement between Metropolitan State and the college offering the AAS degree.
The Advertising and Business Management program will teach students about the planning, design, integration and implementation of marketing communication programs. Courses include understanding consumer behavior, advertising and campaign planning, graphics design and copywriting, and designing and writing on the Web. Students completing this program may be qualified for creative positions as well as for account management positions in advertising campaign planning.
Acceptance to the Program
To be eligible for acceptance to the Advertising and Business Management major, students must submit a College of Management Undergraduate Program Declaration Form when the following is completed:
- The approved AAS degree specified in the approved articulation agreement
- GPA of 2.5 or higher in AAS
- COM Foundation Courses with a grade of C-, S or better (see below)
The COM Foundation Courses are prerequisites for many upper division College of Management courses. Completing these courses early in your program will help you succeed and have the most valuable experience in other College of Management courses.
The degree requirements have five components:
- General Education and Liberal Studies
Students in degree programs at Metropolitan State University must complete while at the university, or transfer to the university, a number of courses to meet general education and liberal studies requirements. View General Education and Liberal Studies (GELS) for Metropolitan State University. Completion of an AAS degree does not satisfy MnTC or Metropolitan State University's General Education Liberal Studies requirements.
- COM Foundation Courses (22 credits)
To complete this BAS in 120 credits, you must have successfully complete these or equivalent courses as part of your AAS degree.
- Business Core Courses (24 credits)
- Required Courses (16 credits)
- MKTG 310 Consumer and Professional Buyer Behavior
- MKTG 343 Integrated Marketing Communications
- MKTG 348 Advertising Design, Production and Copyrighting
- An approved internship may be substituted for MKTG 348
- WRIT 373 Writing and Designing for the Web
- Choose one of the following: