Dental Hygiene Post-Baccalaureate Certificate
Collaborative Dental Hygiene Practice
This program provides baccalaureate educated dental hygienists, who have graduated from an accredited institution, the opportunity to complete a certificate in dental hygiene. The focus is to augment and deepen the knowledge, skills, and values of the professional role of the dental hygienist in the community. This primarily online, part-time program also prepares students who are interested in pursuing Metropolitan State University's master's degree program in advanced dental therapy practice, the Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy (MSADT), by offering courses that are prerequisites for this program.
Acceptance to the Program
To be eligible for acceptance to the Dental Hygiene Post-Baccalaureate Certificate program, students must have completed the following:
- Official transcript from an accredited dental hygiene program demonstrating successful completion
- Official transcripts of all other college and university coursework, indicating a BS/BA degree
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 (calculated from all college coursework)
- Appropriate documentation of an active unencumbered license to practice dental hygiene in Minnesota
If an applicant's dental hygiene license does not meet Minnesota's dental hygiene requirements, specifically with regard to the administration of local anesthesia and nitrous oxide inhalation sedation, the applicant may be required to complete continuing education courses to meet these requirements depending upon the student's goals for the program.
Normandale Community College offers pain management continuing education courses and BSDH students will be given priority admission. These requirements must be completed before enrolling in the Restorative Functions Clinic or Dental Hygiene Capstone courses. Students with questions regarding these requirements should contact the program advisor or program faculty.
Students complete a planned program of 9-15 credits of dental hygiene coursework from the list of courses below. The required certificate courses will be determined based upon the applicant's baccalaureate degree and career goals. Classes are offered primarly online but will meet at Normanadale Community College in Bloomington, Minnesota if required.
Dental Hygiene Certificate Courses
- DENH 300 Designing and Managing Teams in Healthcare (2 credits)
- DENH 310 Current and Relevant Topics for the Dental Hygienist (4 credits)
- DENH 320 Management of Oral Healthcare Delivery (3 credits)
- DENH 420 Restorative Functions Theory and Lab* (3 credits)
- DENH 430P Dental Hygiene Capstone (4-5 credits) (Last course to be completed)
*Requires more campus time and a significant lab fee; must be taken before enrollment in the Dental Hygiene Capstone course.
Other possible courses to choose from:
- DENH 330 Dental Hygiene Care for Culturally Diverse and Special Needs Populations (3 credits)
- DENH 410 Evidence-Based Dental Hygiene Practice (3 credits)
- DENH 340 Educational Concepts in Dental Hygiene (3 credits)
- DENH 440 Restorative Functions Clinic** (1 credit)
**An optional one credit course leading to Restorative Functions certification by the Minnesota State Board of Dentistry is available for student enrollment the semester immediately following successful completion of DENH 420, Restorative Functions Theory and Lab. This optional course requires contractual agreement with a dentist for completion of the Minnesota Board of Dentistry Restorative Functions clinical requirements.