Student-designed independent studies give Metropolitan State students the opportunity to plan their own study. This type of independent learning strategy can be useful for because it allows students:
- to study a subject in more depth, at a more advanced level;
- to pursue a unique project that requires specialized study;
- to draw together several knowledge areas or interests into a specialized study;
- to test independent learning capabilities and skills; or
- to use special learning resources in the community, taking advantage of community education opportunities which, in themselves, would not yield a full college competence.
Getting Credit for What You Know is a one-credit course that introduces students to the different forms of experiential and student directed learning.