The application deadline for Fall 2015 admission is January 15 2015. The program only admits for fall semester.
Class size is limited to 32 students so admission is competitive. The selection process is based on cumulative GPA, prerequisite grades, references, and evaluation of applicant essay. The School of Nursing Admission/Retention Committee will begin review of completed applications once the application deadline has passed. Applicants should allow approximately 45 business days for admission decisions following the application deadline.
Review the ELMSN Applicant Policies before submitting your application materials. To be considered for full admission to the Entry Level Master of Science Nursing program, you must submit all items listed below.
A complete application file consists of two parts (three for international students.) Begin the application process by first applying online using the new online graduate application. Once you’ve applied online you can login to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password at any time and upload your remaining documents, submit your references, and check on the status of your application. If you encounter difficulty with the online application please email email@example.com
- Online Graduate Programs Application Please note you will need a MnSCU StarID to complete the application. If you don’t have a StarID you will create one at the beginning of the application.
- If you do not have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN) please follow the No SSN instructions to activate your StarID.
- Non-refundable Application Fee can be paid through online application
- Current fee of $20 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State University.
- Official Transcripts
- Official transcripts for ALL previous college-level work in undergraduate and graduate programs indicating baccalaureate degree and prerequisite course completion.
- Applicants must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA for all previous post-secondary study and degrees, including any courses completed that did not directly lead to a completed degree.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES.
- Electronic transcripts should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paper transcripts should be send directly from the sending institution (preferred.)
- Prerequisites; using your StarID, upload using the Applicant Portal the Entry Level MSN Application Supplement showing completion of the admission prerequisites (eight total.)
- All prerequisites must be at least three semester credits, or at least four quarter credits and be taken at a regionally accredited college or university.
- The four (primary) prerequisites of chemistry, human anatomy, human physiology, and microbiology must be completed prior to the application deadline (with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.)
- Chemistry (with laboratory component)
- Human anatomy (with laboratory component)
- Human physiology (with laboratory component)
- Microbiology (with laboratory component)
- The four (secondary) prerequisites of lifespan growth and development, medical ethics, nutrition, and statistics may be pending at the application deadline. If an admission offer is made, the remaining prerequisites must be completed with a grade of C or better by the start of the program. To verify successful completion, official transcripts must be submitted to the School of Nursing prior to the start of the program.
- Lifespan growth and development (course must cover the entire lifespan)
- Medical Ethics
- Statistics (upper division or graduate-level [course #300/3000 or higher] and must have been completed in the last four years)
- Professional References; using your StarID, submit online references using the Applicant Portal.
- Two distinct references from two people; select from two of the three categories:
- faculty member
- peer or colleague
- Once the two distinct references have been received in the Graduate Studies Office the remaining reference item listed in the applicant portal will disappear.
- Admission Essay; using your StarID, upload using the Applicant Portal.
- A three-page word-processed essay using double-spacing and 12-point font (approximately 750 words) addressing the following:
- An important part of the Metropolitan State University School of Nursing's mission is to enhance the health of underserved and diverse populations.
- Describe how your talents, experiences, and/or cultural background have:
- prepared you to support our mission
- prepared you for graduate education
- Describe your anticipated professional goals after completing this program and attaining registered nurse licensure.
- Applicants are expected to use their own words and ideas when responding to essay questions. To clarify or strengthen a point, applicants may choose to include the thoughts and ideas of others when responding. In these cases, applicants are required to provide proper 6th edition APA citation of the works in which the ideas originated. Applicant essays are subject to plagiarism review, including the use of plagiarism detecting software. The consequences for essay plagiarism will be decided by the School of Nursing Admission/Retention Committee and could result in various consequences, including the full denial of an application.
- Applicants are encouraged to review language regarding plagiarism found in the Student Handbook.
- Computer Proficiency: using your StarID, upload using the Applicant Portal
- Completed computer proficiency form with student signature acknowledges awareness of computer proficiency expectations established by the School of Nursing.
Part Three – International Students Only
In addition to parts one and two, international student applicants must provide:
- English language proficiency: Students must demonstrate English language proficiency or permanent resident status, documented or demonstrated by one of the following ways:
- Is a US citizen or permanent resident,
- Has a bachelor’s master’s or doctoral degree from an English-speaking institution in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand,
- Holds an H-1 visa at the time of application that will be in effect at the date of matriculation,
- Has a minimum TOEFL score of 250 (Internet-based), or 600 (paper-based) achieved within 24 months of intended matriculation, or
- Has an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher achieved within 24 months of intended matriculation.
- Financial statement
- Immunization records
- Passport, visa, I-94, international home address and phone numbers
Visit International Student Services graduate admissions for part three details.
Submit Part Three To:
Graduate Studies Office Metropolitan State University
1501 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403
13th Street and Harmon Place
MEC Building, Office M4003