Applications to the Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy program are reviewed throughout the year. We are currently accepting applications for a spring or fall semester start.
Students who fail to enroll in courses according to the published program may be required to re-apply for admission. If re-admitted, this will be treated as a new admission and such students will be held accountable for any interim curriculum changes, including changes in course prerequisites.
A complete application file consists of two parts. Begin the application process by first applying online using the online graduate application. Once you’ve applied online you can login to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password at any time and upload your remaining documents, submit your references, and check on the status of your application. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned.
To be considered for admission you must:
- Complete the Online Graduate Programs Application. You will use your MnSCU StarID to complete the application. If you don’t have a MnSCU StarID, you will create one at the beginning of the application. If you encounter difficulty with the online application please email email@example.com
- If you do not have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN) please follow the No SSN instructions to activate your StarID.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee online using the online application. The current fee of $20 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State.
- Submit official transcripts showing a baccalaureate degree or equivalent earned from an accredited institution with grade-point average or narrative description describing courses completed.
- Transcripts from ALL schools attended after high school and from any graduate or professional programs are required.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES.
- Electronic transcripts (preferred) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paper transcripts sent directly from the sending institution (preferred)
To be considered for admission you must provide:
- Goals Essay; upload
- A word-processed, double-spaced narrative of 750-1000 words, with your name at the top of each page. Please address the following:
- Describe the area of dental hygiene practice you envision for yourself after completion of graduate study in dental hygiene.
- Explain how this practice will contribute towards the two goals of our dental hygiene mission: to advance professional dental hygiene and to enhance the health of underserved and diverse populations.
- Describe and explain life, work, or academic skills, knowledge and/or experience you presently hold that contribute towards these two goals and can be applied in future practice.
- Professional References; submit reference contact information in the Applicant Portal.
- Two distinct references from two people; select from two of the three categories:
- A faculty member
- A supervisor/employer
- A professional peer or colleague
- Once the two distinct references have been received in the Graduate Studies Office the remaining reference item listed in the applicant portal will disappear.
- Once submitted, references will receive a “noreply” email from MnSCU with a link to the recommendation form. References should check junk mail if the email is not in their inbox. The link is good for 60 days, however, the application deadline may be sooner. Applicants should remind their references of the application deadline when speaking with them.
- Evidence of Unencumbered License; upload
- Evidence of current unencumbered dental hygienist license that meets Minnesota licensure requirements.
- PDF or an image file of your license or state board login page showing unencumbered license.
- Computer Proficiency: upload
- Completed computer proficiency form acknowledges awareness of computer proficiency expectations established by the Dental Hygiene Department.
Eligible applicants will be invited for an interview as a final step in the application process. Your professional portfolio, which you will present at the interview, will exhibit your efforts and achievements in the following areas:
- Career goals/philosophy statement
- Resume including work/career experience in the field of dental hygiene
- Current dental hygiene license and certifications
- Degrees/Diplomas/Academic accomplishments, awards, and/or recognitions
- Continuing education/professional development and lifelong learning
- Involvement in professional organizations
- Community service and volunteer activities
- Please create an index of the above components for ease of portfolio review
Questions about applying to the Advanced Dental Therapy MS?
Questions about the online application, fee, transcripts/transcript evaluations, online recommendation form, and document upload feature can be sent to email@example.com (preferred) or you can call 612-659-7150.
Questions about Part Two requirements or the program in general can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or you can call 651-793-1426.
Metropolitan State University
Graduate Studies Office
MEC Building, Office 4003
1300 Harmon Place
1501 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis MN 55403
|Metropolitan State University
Dental Hygiene Department
St. John’s Hall, 1st Floor
700 East 7th Street
St. Paul MN 55106
St. Paul Campus