The program admits for fall semester only with an annual deadline of March 31. Applications will continue to be accepted after that date until the class is full.
Please note: The fall 2016 cohort will be deferred to spring 2017, with a one-time application deadline of September 16, 2016. The fall 2017 deadline will remain March 31, and the program will continue to accept applications after that date to ensure a full cohort.
A complete application file consists of two parts (three for international students.) Begin the application process by applying online first using the new online graduate application. Once you’ve applied online you can login to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password at any time and upload your remaining documents, submit your references, and check on the status of your application.
Applicants should allow up to 8 weeks after the deadline passes for admission committee review and decisions. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned.
- Online Graduate Programs Application You will use your MnSCU StarID to complete the application. If you don’t have a MnSCU StarID you will create one at the beginning of the application. If you encounter difficulty with the online application please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN) please follow the No SSN instructions to activate your StarID.
- Non-refundable application fee can be paid through online application
- Current fee of $20 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State University.
- Official transcripts
- Must show a baccalaureate degree or equivalent earned from a regionally accredited institution with grade-point average or narrative description describing courses completed.
- Transcripts from ALL schools attended after high school and from any graduate or professional programs are required.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES.
- Electronic transcripts (preferred) sent to email@example.com
- Paper transcripts sent directly from the sending institution (preferred)
- Prerequisite Introduction to Criminal Justice
- The course can be in progress at Metropolitan State University or elsewhere up to and including summer semester, but must be completed prior to fall semester.
- Current resume; upload
- Must show some professional experience in a law enforcement or criminal justice agency, or in a social service or security agency that has significant interaction with the criminal justice system, or equivalent.
- Goals Essay; upload
- A word-processed paper (double-spaced and approximately two pages) explaining "Why the Master's Degree Would Help Me Achieve My Professional Goals," with specific reference to the program. Describe significant achievements, planned career, and community or personal activities, including what you can contribute to the program.
- Professional References; submit reference information online
- Provide two references from employers or others who can attest to the importance of the master's degree in enhancing your professional development and commenting on your ability to pursue and successfully complete a graduate program.
- Once submitted, references will receive a “noreply” email from MnSCU with a link to the recommendation form. References should check junk mail if the email is not in their inbox. The link is good for 60 days, however, the application deadline may be sooner. Applicants should remind their references of the application deadline when speaking with them.
- GRE or Admission Assessment
- For those that have a cumulative GPA of 2.99 or less on the transcript bearing the bachelor’s degree. Submit official GRE scores or take the program-specific admission assessment.
Part Three – International Students Only
In addition to parts one and two, international applicants in the U.S. or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide this information for admission to the university.
- Proof of English proficiency (official TOEFL or IELTS score)
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 80 IBT, 550 PBT or IELTS 6.5
- Financial statement (F1 visa only)
- Immunization records
- Passport, visa, I-94
- Completed International Supplement Form
Visit International Student Services graduate admissions for part three details.
Submit Part Three to:
Graduate Studies Office
Metropolitan State University
1501 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403
13th Street and Harmon Place
MEC Building, Office M4003