Students with 0-15 credits earned in higher education are considered first-year students. There are many important steps to complete as a new first-year student that will plant the seeds for academic success as you move forward.
If you are a new transfer student, visit the transfer student page for information specific to your needs.
Once you are admitted to Metropolitan State University, there are several important steps to complete.
- Once you receive your login information for the Portal, MnSCU eServices, e-mail and D2L, set up all accounts. Contact IT Services with login issues.
- Online New Student Orientation (NSO) is required for students prior to registration. First-Year students are required complete online NSO and attend an on-campus Group Advising and Registration (GAR) session.
- All students are required to take Placement Assessments upon admission to Metropolitan State University unless you meet exception criteria. Complete placements as soon as possible because you will be restricted from registration until they are completed. Contact the Placement Office for more information.
- Register for courses. We recommend that first year students focus primarily on completing general education coursework to lay a solid foundation for your academic career and to provide time and resources to explore and verify that you have chosen the right major.
- All Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement students are required to attend a Pre-Major Advising Workshop (PAW) prior to being accepted to the major. You may attend a PAW only after having completed NSO. A PAW is a group advising session designed to review your graduation requirements in-depth, important advising information and answer any questions you may have. View upcoming PAW sessions and signup information.
- You must secure your tuition payment plans by the deadline prior to the start of each semester. If payment is not received by the deadline, your registration will be canceled. Contact Financial Management for securing tuition payment options.
- Books can be purchased each semester at the campus bookstore located in the Library of the St. Paul campus. Go to the Bookstore's website for store more information.
- It's essential for you to obtain your Student ID card to: access parking ramps on the St. Paul and Minneapolis campuses, check out resources from our library, obtain materials through interlibrary loan service and other MnSCU libraries, and meet the Brooklyn Park campus requirement that students carry their Student ID at ALL times.
- As you prepare for your first semester of college and the semesters that follow, it's important to think about how you will prioritize all the things going on in your life: work, family, college, etc. College will require new demands that are different from those you experienced in high school, and you may now find that you do not have the time to fit in all that you used to. Time management and organization are important skills to master so that you are prepared for class, meeting deadlines, and managing this new transition. Take advantage of the support services available to assist you in having a fulfilling undergraduate experience.
- Once you begin your courses at Metropolitan State University, we encourage you to get connected to the university. There are a variety of resources available to assist you in being successful. Be sure to connect with your advisor when you have questions or concerns.
Oftentimes, First-Year students may change their intended major. If you are uncertain about your major choice or would like to do some additional major and career exploration, visit Career Development Center.
Now that you have established yourself as a new First-Year student at Metropolitan State University, visit our Current SLC Student page for next steps.
Please view our FAQs for commonly asked questions by newly admitted students.