• Apply for Admission
  • Explore Programs and Courses
  • Pathway to Student Services
  • Resources and Library Services
  • Alumni, Friends, and Community

Taking Courses at Another School

Occasionally, students may need to take a course for their degree or certificate program through another college or university. The Consortium Agreement is a process where a student can add credits from another institution (Host School) to the credits or enrollment at Metropolitan State University (Home School) in an effort to increase their credit load and possibly the amount of financial aid.

Metropolitan State agrees to accept the credits taken at the host school on the same basis as courses it offers.* The course or courses taken at the host school will appear on the Metropolitan Stateís transcript and the course credits will be counted toward the studentís enrollment level for the purpose of calculating financial aid eligibility. The student is responsible for paying the host school for any tuition and fees owed to that school by the published tuition deadline date for the semester.

Completing a Consortium Agreement
In order to receive financial aid for a course or courses at another college or university, students need to complete the following steps:

  1. Download the correct Consortium Agreement form from the Financial Aid web site. Register for courses at the Host School.
  2. Fill out the student section of the Consortium Agreement completely including signature and date. Be sure to include the Instructor's name and contact information. The agreement will be delayed or denied if there is no course instructor contact information.
  3. Take the form to Metro State academic advisor for approval. The studentís academic advisor must certify that the courses will apply to the requirements of the chosen degree plan.
  4. If the Host School is not a MnSCU Institution, the student will need to take the form to the Host School's financial aid office, and have an appropriate official complete the school section. Host School approval is not required or requested on the form for MnSCU schools. For non-MnSCU schools, students must provide the Metropolitan State University registrar a copy of an official transcript showing the earned grade in the course at the end of the semester.
  5. The student must notify the Metropolitan State Financial Aid Office if s/he does not complete the course by the end of the term due to accepting an incomplete or if s/he drops or withdraws from the course.
  6. Submit the form to the Financial Aid Office at Metropolitan State University for processing. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing.

    *In order for the consortium course(s) to be evaluated and appear on your Interactive Degree Audit/DARS report (or GELS worksheet for students admitted before fall 2006), you must complete a Transfer Update Request after grades have been posted for the consortium course(s).

Paying For Courses as a Visiting Student
Visiting students must make payment arrangements for courses as required by the host school. Tuition and fee charges at the host school will not be paid by Metropolitan State. As the Home School, Metropolitan State will credit all financial aid for to the studentís account at Metropolitan State after the 16th day of the semester. Any financial aid that exceeds the charges will be available to pay for other educational expenses, including tuition and fees for courses taken at another institution. It is the studentís responsibility to clear any tuition and fee charges with the host institution and, if attending a non-MnSCU institution, by obtaining an official transcript at the end of the semester.

Bookstore Credits
Metropolitan State Bookstore Credits do not transfer to another institution. Students are responsible for purchasing books at the Host School.



E-mail: Ask Us powered by RightNow
Tel: 651-793-1300

Brooklyn Park - Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Education Center Minneapolis Campus Midway Center Saint Paul Campus Saint Paul Campus