• Apply for Admission
  • Explore Programs and Courses
  • Pathway to Student Services
  • Resources and Library Services
  • Alumni, Friends, and Community

Academic Advising

All admitted, degree-seeking students will have an academic advisor who can assist them in planning an academic program to achieve their goals. Students who have identified an intended major will be assigned an advisor in the college or school that offers that major. Admitted students who have not specified an interest in any particular major will be assigned an advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences. Regular contact with your advisor is important; she or he can help you make informed academic decisions so you can make the most of your academic journey. Always remember, however, that you make the decisions about your academic program, and you are responsible for completing the requirements for your degree.

Newly admitted students must complete a new student orientation (available in-person or online). These workshops will provide a great deal of the information you need to work effectively with your academic advisor and plan your program. Most students in good academic standing are not required to get their advisor’s approval for their registration; you are responsible for contacting your advisor when you have questions or seek advising.  University policy requires that students be officially admitted to a major by the time they have completed 80+ credits and have been at Metropolitan State for at least one year. 

Your academic advisor will be either a university resident faculty member or a professional academic advisor. Many faculty advisors are not available in the summer. We recommend contacting the appropriate college or Advising Center if your advisor is not available for an extended period of time.  Please note that many academic advisors work with several hundred students.  Therefore, the best time to contact your advisor to plan your program is well before the registration period for each term. 

  • Changing Advisors--There are a number of legitimate reasons you might want to change advisors. Whatever the reason, call or write your college or school's Advising Center. Include or have ready your name, student ID number, present advisor's name and, if there is a specific advisor you would like to request, the name of your preferred advisor.  Your request will be honored if possible.
  • Recognizing an Outstanding Academic Advisor--Students may nominate their academic advisor to receive the university’s Outstanding Academic Advisor award. Refer to the nomination form for more information.
  • Academic Appeal Procedure --The Academic Appeals procedure allows for informal and formal processes for resolving student appeals of academic grievances.  Refer to Metropolitan State University Procedure 300, Academic Appeal Procedure, for further information.

  • Academic Standing --The university expects you to succeed in your courses and make progress toward your degree. The purposes of the University’s Academic Standing policy are to:
    • Define and maintain the academic standards of the university;
    • Provide for interventions with students who do not meet university requirements in order to support retention of students who encounter difficulties;
    • Provide standards and systems that are consistent with MnSCU policy and Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress Policy.

We encourage students who encounter academic difficulty to take the steps necessary to succeed in their courses and to complete their degrees. 
Students’ academic standing is reviewed each semester.  To remain in good academic standing, students must maintain a Metropolitan State University cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and successfully complete at least 67% of the cumulative Metropolitan State University credits attempted, including credits accepted in transfer.  Courses with grades of S or D or higher are considered successful.  Courses with grades of F, N, I, W or missing are considered unsuccessful, as are courses in which a grade of D is earned that have been repeated. A cumulative Metropolitan State grade point average of 2.0 or higher is required for graduation.

The first term that students do not meet these standards, they will be put on Academic Warning. Students who continue to fall below the standards after their next semester of registration will be Suspended for Academic Reasons.  Students who are reinstated after being Suspended for Academic Reasons or successfully appeal an Academic Suspension will normally be placed on Academic Probation.  As a courtesy, notice of unsatisfactory academic standing will be sent to the student, as well as to the student's academic advisor and, if the student is an international student, to the International Student Advisor. Refer to Policy 2050, Undergraduate Academic Standing Review, and Procedure 205, Undergraduate Academic Standing Review Procedure, for further information.   If you have questions about your academic standing, contact your academic advisor.

If you encounter academic difficulty at any time, we urge you to seek help promptly from your instructors, your academic advisor, and other support services offered by the university. Students placed on Academic Warning must complete an Academic Success Workshop in order to chart a strategy for improving their academic performance, and must meet with their academic advisor to discuss their situation and plans and to receive approval to register for the following term(s).

Students receiving financial aid must meet additional standards to remain eligible to receive aid.

Return to top

Active Shooter / Lockdown

Violent incidents, including but not limited to: acts of terrorism, an active shooter, assaults, or other incidents of workplace violence can occur on the campus or in close proximity with little or no warning.  An “active shooter” is considered to be a suspect or assailant whose activity is immediately causing serious injury or death and has not been contained.
The purpose of a “lockdown” is to minimize accessibility to rooms on campus to reduce the risk if injury or danger to faculty, staff, students or visitors. A lockdown would be implemented when requested by campus public safety, local law enforcement, fire department, campus administration or any other credible source of information. Lockdown notification will be provided through the campus paging system. Click for more information about the lockdown procedure.

Campus Lockdown Immediate Action

  • Secure the immediate area.  Whether a classroom, office, or other:
  • Lock or barricade the door, if able.  Block the door using whatever is available—desks, tables, file cabinets, other furniture, books, etc.
  • After securing the door, stay behind solid objects away from the door as much as possible.
  • If the assailant enters your room and leaves, lock or barricade the door behind them.
  • If safe to do so, allow others to seek refuge with you.
  • Protective Actions.  Take appropriate steps to reduce your vulnerability:
  • Close blinds and block windows.
  • Turn off radios and computer monitors.
  • Silence cell phones.
  • Place signs in exterior windows to identify your location to emergency responders and the location of injured persons.
  • Remain calm and quiet.
  • After securing the room, people should be positioned out of sight and behind items that might offer additional protection-walls, desks, etc.
  • Unsecured Areas.  If you find yourself in an open area, immediately seek protection:
  • Put something between you and the assailant.
  • Consider trying to escape, if you know where the assailant is and there appears to be an escape route immediately available to you.
  • If in doubt, find the safest area and secure it the best way possible.

Return to top

Bookstore / Textbooks

The bookstore stocks all course materials that are required and recommended for your courses, and has a full selection of used books to save you money on your purchases. For your convenience, books may be purchased directly from the store or through their website. The bookstore staff may be contacted at 651-793-1670.

Return to top

Career Services

Career Services provides comprehensive career development assistance that complements student learning about their majors and fields of interest in the classroom.   We welcome students to contact us early and often as they move through their academic coursework. We offer support for your career-related needs, from exploring career fields to preparing for job interviews.
Visit Career Services online or contact us for more information: 651-793-1528 or career.services@metrostate.edu.

Return to top

Class Cancellations

Class Cancellations Due to Low Enrollment

Metropolitan State University reserves the right to cancel any course (examples include a course which does meet minimum enrollment requirements, last-minute unavailability of an instructor or scheduled classroom due to illness or disaster, etc).
In case of cancellation, Metropolitan State University will notify registered students and process full refunds of any monies paid. Cancellations and other schedule changes occur daily. Check the Class Schedule online for the most up-to-date information.

Class Cancellations Due to Weather / Emergencies

On rare occasions, classes may be canceled due to severe weather or other conditions. The decision to cancel classes is made as early in the day as possible.
If classes are canceled, announcements are made on the website and several radio stations, including:

AM Stations

FM Stations

WCCO 830

KQRS 92.5

KRSI 950

KS95 94.5

KSTP 1500

KNOW 91.1

KFAN 1130


KDWB 630


WWTC 1280


Return to top

Classroom Safety

Some Metropolitan State employees, students or guests may exhibit anger and violence as a result of difficulties and frustrations within our environment, emotional or psychological struggles, or fear and anxiety over unknown influences. Threats, intimidation and harassment are not tolerated at Metropolitan State University and should not be accepted within the classroom, office or public areas.
Anyone witnessing abuse should feel empowered to respond to the abuser in a professional manner appropriate to your comfort level. Allowing abusers to demonstrate threatening behaviors without a corrective response may validate their conduct and create an environment for continued abuse. The safety officers, administration or the Police Department may also be contacted to support efforts associated with mitigating abusive behaviors. The following items may offer support during these situations.

  • Rehearse ahead of time what you would say or do in these situations.
  • Respond to the individual in a calm/firm manner letting them know how you feel.
  • If you anticipate problems with an individual, let safety know ahead of time.
  • If you feel you may be in jeopardy, leave the area. Go somewhere safe and notify the safety officer.

Click for more information regarding classroom safety procedures.

Return to top

Closed Classes

Metropolitan State University is committed to having small classes and individualized learning.  Most classes have carefully established maximum enrollments of between 22 and 40. Students wishing to enroll in a closed class should continue to check the registration system in case another student drops the class, making space available. Students with special circumstances who need a closed class must request permission from the department chair. In some cases, departments will have a policy against admitting a student to a closed class, and students should never assume that it will be possible to obtain permission to register for a closed class.

Metropolitan State University has begun a wait listing initiative, which will allow students to place him or herself on a wait list once a class has reached its capacity.  Placing oneself on a wait list does not guarantee a spot in the course.  Currently, not all departments and courses are participating in wait listing, although in the future more departments will make this feature available to students.  Click for more information about wait listing at Metropolitan State University

Return to top

Computer Access Support

IT Student Support (Customer Service Help Desk)

IT Services provides students with walk-in, telephone and email support for technology questions and computing services.  The Help Desk is located on the Saint Paul Campus in New Main L105.
Telephone support is available by calling (651) 793-1240.
Email support is available at IT.Desk@metrostate.edu.
Walk-in hours for personalized service can be found on the Ask Us! Information Technology support site at https://metrostateits.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/197.

Computer Labs

Metropolitan State offers open computer labs and computer-equipped classrooms at each of the following campuses:

  • Saint Paul
  • Midway
  • Minneapolis
  • Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Center (Brooklyn Park)

Computer lab assistants are available during select hours at each location to assist with technology needs.  When lab assistants are not available, support is available during IT Support hours by phone and email through the IT Services Customer Service Help Desk.

Lab and staffing hours vary by campus, and may differ over semester breaks, holidays and summer terms.  Some labs may be closed during spring break and other breaks.
Current computer lab locations and hours can be found on the Ask Us! Information Technology support site.

Student User Accounts

Metropolitan State provides each student with their own user account.  This user account provides access to University services including:

  • Email
  • Online courses (D2L)
  • The Portal
  • Access to the wireless network
  • Computer lab and classroom computer access
  • Internet accessible file storage
  • Access to grades and online registration
  • Library research tools

and many other useful resources.

User accounts are created for new students when registered for Online Orientation or their first course.  Account information is delivered by email to the student’s personal email address.  Students are encouraged to sign up for orientation or courses as early as possible since initial account creation is usually completed within three business days.

IT Work Study Employment Opportunity

IT Services offers part-time work study student employment opportunities for students who possess strong communication and customer service skills and who have basic technical skills who desire to assist students, staff and faculty with lab, classroom and technology support. Click for more information, pay rates, requirements and how to apply.

Computer Usage

Metropolitan State University's discrimination and harassment policies apply to employee and student use of University technology resources. While Metropolitan State University respects and encourages freedom of expression and freedom to learn, we request that individuals respect the privacy of others and use discretion when viewing potentially sensitive materials on University computers. For further clarification, please consult the Acceptable Use of Computers and Information Technology Resources.

Helpful IT and Computer Resources

IT Services “Ask Us!” Self-Service Web Site

Click on “Ask Us!” on any web page, or visit:  http://metrostateits.custhelp.com.

Instructions for Configuring Wireless Network Connections


IT Services Web Site


Return to top

Counseling Services

Metropolitan State's Student Counseling Service provides confidential personal and psychological counseling services free-of-charge to students. The Counseling Service also offers individual counseling as well as therapy groups, workshops, consultations and referrals.

Contact the Student Counseling Services Office to schedule an appointment to see a counselor or obtain more information on services.

Return to top

Course Completion Requirements

All work for learning activities must be completed according to the following schedule:
Courses—Students must meet deadlines set by course instructors. A student who completes most of the required coursework (as determined by the instructor) but is prevented from completing the course on time may request that the instructor assign an incomplete (an "I" grade). Instructors are not required to give incompletes. All remaining work must be submitted by the instructor's deadline. It is important to note that if the required coursework has not been completed by the end of the following semester, the incomplete will automatically change to either an "F" or an "NC" based on the chosen grading method.
Please note: Grades of "F," "NC," "I," or "W" all negatively impact completion rate, which is used in addition to GPA to determine whether or not a student remains in good academic standing. Procedure #205,, Undergraduate Academic Standing Review, states that "A student is in Good Academic Standing when the student's cumulative GPA is 2.0 or better and cumulative completion rate is 67% or better." See Policy #2050 and Procedure #205 for the complete details of the Academic Standing requirements.

  • Faculty Designed Independent Study Courses—Students must complete all course work by the end of the term.
  • Student Designed Independent Courses—Students must complete work within 140 days (20 weeks) after the beginning of the semester or after registration for an independent study, whichever is later.
  • Internships—Students must complete work within 180 days from the date of registration, unless otherwise specified within the internship agreement.
  • Other—Work for theory seminars and assessment of prior and other institutional learning must be completed and evaluations submitted within 90 days of registration.

Return to top

Data Privacy

Metropolitan State University protects the confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act and the Minnesota state statute, "Official Records - Collection, Security and Dissemination."

Official student files are maintained by the Registrar's Office. Upon written request, students have the right to inspect their university records. Certain information collected by the university is considered to be "directory information," which may be released to the general public. This includes:

  • Student’s name(s)
  • Major field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Dates of attendance
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended
  • Grade level or enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate/graduate; full time or part time)
  • Degrees, honors and awards received
  • Date of graduation
  • Height and weight of members of athletic teams

Students who wish to restrict the release of any or all of the above information may do so by contacting Gateway Student Services. The university will not release information other than the items listed above without your specific written permission, except to those officials or agencies with specific legal authorization. Refer to the Privacy of Education Records Under the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, University Policy #1040.

Return to top

Disability Services

Metropolitan State is committed to ensuring equal education opportunities in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act.  Metropolitan State University will not discriminate on the basis of physical or mentaldisability. The university will provide all qualified students with disabilities equal opportunity to benefit from its programs and services by making reasonable accommodations and / or academic adjustments. All accommodations will be made on a case by case basis with the understanding that the university cannot make changes which fundamentally alter the nature of a program of service. 

Qualifying for accommodations

Any student or prospective student with a documented disability may qualify for accommodations.  Documentation of disability must be provided with initial request for service. Student confidentiality is respected in accordance with data privacy laws. Visit Disability Services for more information.

Requesting accommodations

  1. Call the Disability Services Office any time and make an appointment to discuss your needs. Due to data privacy laws, students must seek out services.
  2. Complete the necessary forms:
    - Disability Services intake form
    - Release of Information form
    - Documentation of Disability
  3. Stay in touch with the Disability Services staff. Contact them several weeks before the start of each semester to discuss accommodation needs for specific classes.


Metropolitan State University facilities are accessible to people with disabilities. For specific issues related to facilities or parking, call 651-793-1718. 

Return to top

Drug-free Schools and Campuses

Metropolitan State University endorses the concept of drug-free schools as expressed in the Drug-free Schools and Communities Act of 1989. Compliance with this law is required for continued federal funding and eligibility for federal student loans. Metropolitan Sate prohibits the unlawful possession, use or distribution of drugs and alcohol by students and employees on university property or as part of university activities. Refer to University Policy 1060, Drug Abuse Prevention Program, for further information. Any student having concerns or problems with alcohol or drugs can receive free, confidential counseling and referral through the Student Affairs Office.

Return to top


Metropolitan State University has designated e-mail as an official method of communication with students. The university expects students to be responsible for all information sent to them via their official university email account.  Refer to Policy 1050, University E-mail, within the University Policy 1050, Appropriate Use of E-mail, for further information.

New students' e-mail accounts must be activated through the University Portal.  Following initial activation, students may access their email via the university's website and logging into the Portal.  
Activation and access may be accomplished from any internet-enabled computer off campus, or from the university's Saint Paul, Minneapolis and Midway campus computer centers.

Return to top

Emergency Evacuations

Metropolitan State University has established disaster evacuation procedures in the event of severe weather, fire, bomb, or chemical catastrophes.

Severe Weather

In the event that a tornado warning is issued by the National Weather Service or a Minn county during the business hours, the university safety director, Building Services official or safety officer shall be responsible for notifying the president, authorized designee or Crisis Team member, of the warning. Click for more information.


In case of fire, the following procedure should be followed:

  • The person discovering the fire will notify the Safety Department (phone number 9-911) and then call university safety officer.
  • The person discovering the fire will immediately give a vocal alarm in the building, pull the building fire alarm and make an attempt to extinguish the fire before it spreads if possible.
  • The building in which the fire is located will be evacuated under the supervision of the first faculty or staff member on the scene, and personnel will be moved a minimum of three-hundred (300) feet from the location of the fire.
  • When a fire alarm is sounded in a building, all persons will leave the building until it is determined to be safe to re-enter.

NOTE:  Mobility impaired individuals are to report to elevator lobbies as a safe haven to wait for assistance from the responding fire department and/or safety officer. Able-bodied individuals may notify fire fighters and the Safety and Security Office of the location of the individuals and, as appropriate, their attendant. Click for more information.

Bomb Threats

Compared with other university emergencies, the covert and criminal nature of bombing incidents makes detection and disarming of explosive devices a highly dangerous problem. A high percentage of all bomb threats are hoaxes; however, the chance remains the threat may be authentic and appropriate action should be taken in each case to provide for the safety of people and property. Click for more information.

Chemical Accidents

The likelihood of the university suffering a major disaster caused by a chemical accident would be confined mainly to New Main or the physical plant.   First aid suggests the uses of large amounts of running water to remove chemicals from skin and eye exposure. Click for more information.

Return to top

Equal Opportunity

Metropolitan State University is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment and educational opportunity. No person shall be discriminated against in terms and conditions of employment, personnel practices or access to and participation in programs, services and activities with regard to race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation or membership or activity in a local commission as defined by law.

In adhering to this policy, Metropolitan State University abides by the requirements of Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments to the Civil Rights Act, Chapter 363 of the Minnesota Human Rights Act and other applicable state and federal laws.

For additional information or to request a copy of the university's affirmative action plan, nondiscrimination in education and employment opportunity policy (Board of Trustees, 1.B.1) and procedure, call the Office of Affirmative Action (formerly known as the Equal Opportunity and Diversity Office) at 651-793-1270, or go to the university's website.

Nondiscrimination in Education and Employment Policy Complaints

Complaints that allege a violation of the 1.B.1 policy are handled by the Office of Affirmative Action Officer. The Office of Affirmative Action is located at 700 East Seventh Street, Founder’s Hall room 314, Saint Paul, MN  55106.

Return to top

Financial Aid

Recipients of financial aid must meet a number of requirements in order to maintain eligibility.  These requirements include, but are not limited to, the annual submission of FAFSA, course degree applicability, and meeting the university's satisfactory progress requirements. 

The Financial Aid Office's web page has more information on a student's rights and responsibilities with respect to financial aid as well as important deadlines and disbursement dates.
Federal Direct Loans are included in the Award Letter provided students have eligibility. However, since borrowing is a choice, no loans are ever disbursed without further action by the student. The Student Loan Acceptance must be completed online at least annually indicating the amount the student wishes to borrow for specific academic terms.

You will receive an email from Gateway Student Services regarding the Bookstore Credit Program. All registered students without active holds on their accounts are eligible to charge up to $750 for textbooks and required supplies that will be repaid through financial aid or in accordance with the university’s payment deadlines.

Helpful Financial Aid Hints:

  • Complete the FAFSA early in the Spring for the following Fall academic term start. A good goal is to complete the FAFSA just after filing your federal or state income tax return. Students who complete the FAFSA well into the summer for a Fall term start, may run into processing delays and thus, delayed disbursements or lack of a Bookstore Credit.
  • Read and respond to all correspondence from the Metropolitan State University Financial Aid Office. Generally, the Financial Aid Office sends requests for additional information either by US Post or email using your metrostate.edu account. The faster you respond to requests, the faster the Financial Aid Office can process your aid.
  • When applying for admission or financial aid, use your legal name and permanent address. This will help you navigate the financial aid process a little easier.
  • If you intend to enroll for the entire academic year (Fall and Spring terms) and are going to take out a Federal Direct Loan, you can complete the Student Loan Acceptance online form for the entire year and save yourself a step prior to the start of the Spring term. Your loan proceeds will be divided in equal disbursements for each term.
  • Students who are going to attend in the Summer and have completed a FAFSA (as well as any other materials we request), will just need to register for courses and a Summer Award will be calculated within a few days, provided eligibility still exists. Students who wish to take out a student loan for Summer must complete the Student Loan Acceptance indicating the amount and checking the Summer term box.
  • Upon admission, your transfer credits from all previously attended institutions prior will be estimated. Subsequent to admission, your transcripts from all previously attended institutions will be fully evaluated for transferability to Metropolitan State via an Interactive Degree Audit / DARS Report. The estimated transfer credits may be higher or lower than the actual number of credits transferred, therefore causing a change in the amount of a student loan you are eligible to receive.

Return to top

Fire Drills

The purpose of fire drills is to prepare building occupants for an organized evacuation in case of a fire or other emergency. The Safety Director shall be responsible for developing protocols and procedures for building evacuations, the coordination of the fire drills and the evaluation of the drills and adequacy of evacuation plans. Click for more information.

General Evacuation Instructions

  • All building occupants shall evacuate the building when the fire alarm sounds.
  • It is a violation of the state law for failure not to leave the building or to prevent another person from leaving when the alarm is sounds.
  • Elevators should not be used during evacuation.
  • An outside location may be designated for building occupants to assemble following the evacuation.  This location should be away from the main entrance at least 100 feet or may include another building on campus.

NOTE: Mobility impaired individuals are to report to elevator lobbies as a safe haven to wait for assistance from the responding fire department and/or safety officer. Able-bodied individuals may notify fire fighters and the Safety and Security Office of the location of those individuals and, as appropriate, their attendant.

Return to top

Grading Policy

Metropolitan State University's grading policy offers students the option of having any of their work graded on a "competence / no competence" basis or on an audit basis (receive no credit) rather than receiving grades. Students must choose this option at registration or submit a signed request to the instructor by the second class session of a course, or before the first major assessment for other learning opportunities.  After that time, students cannot change from a graded to an ungraded option or vice versa. Refer to University Policy #2080, Grading Policy for more information

Grade Point Average

A student's grade point average is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points received by the total number of graded credits attempted.  This excludes those credits for which the student received a grade of W, I, AU (audit), or learning which was recorded as a competence (S) or no competence (NC).Transcripts requested prior to graduation include a cumulative unofficial grade point average. 
D work cannot be used to meet requirements for undergraduate program majors or prerequisites.  Work with a grade of less than a B- cannot be used to meet graduate program requirements.
The table below indicates the letter grades and the quality points used to calculate grade point averages.



Quality Point / Credit Hour


























Partially adequate



No grade or credit



Other notations on student's transcripts include: competence (S), no competence (NC), incomplete (I), withdrawal (W) and auditing / visitor (AU).

  • Auditing (AU)
    Audit indicates that a student is visiting a course and not taking it for credit.
  • Competence (S)
    Satisfactorily work equivalent to grade of C- or better.
  • No Competence (NC)
    Unsatisfactory work equivalent to a grade of D or F cannot be used to meet academic requirements.
  • Incomplete (I)
    An instructor can assign a grade of incomplete to a student who has made significant progress, but not completed an offering.  If an Incomplete is not completed within one semester, it automatically becomes an F or a no competence.  In extenuating circumstances, the instructor has the authority to review and change an incomplete that has been converted to an F or a No Competence at any time.
  • Withdrawal (W)
    Students may formally withdraw from a course up through the end of the twelfth week of the semester and from a faculty-designed independent study within 12 weeks of registration.  This is recorded on a graded transcript as a W.
  • Repeat (R)
    Students may repeat courses or other learning in which they receive grades of D, F or NC.  If learning is repeated, both the grade and symbols indicating all times the course was repeated are recorded on the transcript.  If learning is repeated more than once, the grade point average includes all attempts after the first one. The Gateway Student Services Center has Repeat Course forms, which should be filled out and turned in for each repeated course after the course has been graded.Students who receive a grade higher than a D may not repeat the learning, except as an auditor / visitor, without the approval of the dean of the college or school.

    The repeat of Metropolitan State University courses must be done at Metropolitan State University by retaking the same course.

Posting Grades at the End of a Semester

Faculty are required to submit grades by midnight of the third business day after the end of the semester.  Grades are available for viewing online or by requesting a transcript shortly after that deadline.

Return to top


Degree candidates are certified for graduation when they have completed all University and program or majors graduation requirements, as outlined in the program materials and / or approved degree plans. Refer to the Graduation webpages for more information.

Students must first notify the Graduation Office of their intent to graduate by registering for the Graduation Workshop (course # WKSP GRAD) for their final semester, and then must schedule a graduation planning meeting with their academic advisor to ensure all program requirements have been met or are in progress during their last semester.  At the meeting, the academic advisor completes an Undergraduate Graduation Review form, which is sent to the Graduation Office.  This meeting must be completed approximately three months prior to the actual graduation date.  Students must access the online Graduation Workshop and complete the required items to participate in commencement. Specific graduation and commencement dates and deadlines are published in the Catalyst and in the Academic/Events Calendar on the University's website.  Students are responsible for all Undergraduate Graduation reviews to be completed within the published deadlines. 

All graduating students are encouraged to participate in the commencement ceremony most closely following their completion. Summer and fall graduates participate in the fall commencement ceremony while spring graduates participate in the spring ceremony.

Graduation with Honors for Undergraduate Students

The honors designations and the cumulative GPA required to achieve them are:
Summa Cum Laude—3.900 or higher
Magna Cum Laude—3.800 to 3.899
Cum Laude—3.700 to 3.799

Please view University Procedure  #252 – Graduation with Honors for Undergraduate Students for more information.

Students with grade point averages in the top ten percent of their school or college are recognized in the commencement program as honors graduates.  The actual grade point average will vary by college and school.  Students who meet the ten percent threshold will be notified in writing prior to commencement.

Return to top


Harassment of an individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, or membership or activity in a local commission is prohibited.  Metropolitan State University shall work to eliminate violence in all its forms. In certain circumstances physical intervention by designated university staff may be deemed necessary to avoid physical harm to persons or property.

The policy is directed at verbal and physical conduct that constitutes discrimination / harassment under state and federal law and is not directed at the content of speech. In cases where verbal statements and other forms of expression are involved, the university will give due consideration to an individual's constitutionally protected right to free speech and academic freedom.

Return to top

Health Insurance

Metropolitan State University students taking at least 6 credits of undergraduate or at least 3 credits of graduate classes are eligible for health insurance coverage. Coverage is also available for dependents. For coverage, they must pay the required premium within 10 days after the semester starts. More information is available online.

All international students and visiting scholars engaged in educational activities are required to purchase the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities international student accident and illness insurance plan, unless they can provide written verification that their government or sponsoring agency accepts full responsibility for any medical claims that might occur.

Return to top

Identification Cards

Your ID card is an essential tool for checking out books, equipment and study rooms in our library, using the InterLibrary Loan service, and checking out books using computer services from other MnSCU libraries. The ID card also displays your Student ID number and may be necessary to obtain other services and student discounts.

We strongly encourage you to get your photo ID as soon as possible. It only takes 3-5 minutes and once completed your privileges are automatically renewed with each new semester you register.
IDs are made at the desk on the second floor of the Library and Learning Center and can be obtained anytime the St. Paul Library location is open. You need to bring a driver's license or other official photo identification. Students who are unable to visit the library in St. Paul may obtain their ID cards by mail. Call the library at 651-793-1616 for instructions.

Return to top


All students born in 1958 or later are required to be in compliance with Minnesota College Immunization Law (Minnesota Statue 135 A.14. This law requires that these students be immunized for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMB) , after the student was at least one year old. Tetanus and diphtheria (TD) vaccines must have been received within the past 10 years. It further requires that students provide documentation of the month and year each immunization was given.

The Metropolitan State University Student Immunization Record form must be submitted to the Admissions Office within 45 days of the semester that the student is admitted, or you will not be able to register for subsequent courses. Students who fail to submit the required information within 45 days of their first semester at Metropolitan State will have a registration hold placed on their account.
Students are exempt if they were born before 1957 or graduated from a Minnesota high school after 1996.

Return to top

Language Proficiency Testing

You should take the language proficiency tests if:

  • You are a new student required to take reading and writing placement tests
  • Your native language is not English and you are not fluent in English

These tests can be administered in the MnSCU college of your choice.  Contact information on colleges can be found online.  After testing, you should contact Placement Assessment at 651-793-1464 for placement advice and registration hold removal.

Return to top

Major / Program

Program Declaration

When students know which major, minor or program they wish to pursue, or decide to develop an individualized program, they must apply to the respective department or program.  All students are expected to file program declaration forms after they have completed 45 semester credits; they must complete the form before completing 80 semester credits. Advisors in the colleges and schools review the work students have completed, and what they intend to do, and indicate approval for that learning on Major / Program Declaration forms.  Those forms, which become a part of each student's record, document their approved programs of study. 

If the form is not filed on time, the student will not be able to register without an advisor's approval.  Students should work with advisors to plan their general education and liberal studies course work.


Major and program requirements are described online.  Each college and school offers workshops to explain the requirements for their programs, including college-specific individualized programs.  First College offers workshops to assist students in developing interdisciplinary individualized degree programs.

Degree Plan / Program Changes

A change in classes for a major or direction of a degree plan (for example, changing the major area of study from marketing to accounting) should be discussed with your advisor.  You must complete a new major / program declaration form and submit it to the appropriate department or program.  In some cases you will need to attend a program information meeting in the new area of study.

Return to top


After completing admission requirements and receiving notification of acceptance to the university, degree-seeking students are required to register for and attend one of the scheduled New Student Orientation sessions before or during their first semester of courses.

Students are introduced to academic support systems, general education / liberal studies (GELS) requirements, Degree Audit Report (DARS), career services, library services, scholarship and financial aid information, advising and student services, and student clubs and programs. Go to the Orientation webpage to register for an orientation session. There is a $40 nonrefundable fee when registering for orientation. This fee is used to improve the overall student transition experience at Metropolitan State University and additional first semester student support programming.

Return to top

Placement Assessment

All incoming freshmen having no college credit at all are required to complete the placement tests that include basic measures of reading, writing, and mathematics.  As soon as you receive your Acceptance letter from the Admissions Office, you should email the Placement Assessment Office at Placement.Assessment@metrostate.edu or call 651-793-1538 or 651-793-1537 to make an appointment and complete required tests as early as possible.

All other new students, including transfer students will be evaluated through the degree auditing process to determine whether exemption should be granted.  You should wait until you get the Degree Auditing Reports (DARS) to see your placement assessment status.  

If you are required to take any of the above placement tests, a hold is put on your record, meaning you cannot register for any class.  Therefore, as soon as you know that you are required to take one or more of the above tests, you should contact the Placement Assessment Office at Placement.Assessment@metrostate.edu or at 651-793-1538 or  651-793-1537 to make an appointment and complete the required tests as early as possible.  If you decide to appeal, you should first review the Exemption Criteria at this Placement Assessment website to determine which exemption category you can use for your appeal.  Then you may call 651-793-1464.

You need to contact Placement Assessment if you are granted exemption based on the criterion that you completed Accuplacer tests within the past three years in another MnSCU institution.  We need to provide the course placement to you based on Metropolitan State's curriculum and remove the registration hold on your record. You may call 651-793-1464.
We also acknowledge your progress if you have followed the course placement in another MnSCU institution when your scores are over three years old.  In this situation, you should contact us directly.  This will be handled on an individual basis.   You may call 651-793-1464.

Placement results provide important insights into students' current skill levels in math, reading and writing.  Students and their advisors use the information to select or recommend those courses most suited to students' academic needs. Placement results are also used to meet the prerequisites for specific courses and/or the University's general education competency requirements in Writing I and/or college algebra level mathematics.  The placement assessment requirement also helps ensure faculty provides high quality teaching to all students. 

Return to top

Language Proficiency Testing

A new student whose native language is not English and who is not fluent in English should take the language proficiency tests.  A student can take these tests in a MnSCU institution of their choice.  Contact information is available on the page of MnSCU & Hubbs Services on the right.  After testing, students should contact us for placement advice and registration hold removal. You may call 651-793-1464. 

Return to top


In simple terms, plagiarism is using another person's words or ideas and presenting them as your own, without acknowledging the original source. This is a serious academic offense. Academic sanctions can include receiving a failing grade for an assignment or an entire course.

It is important to understand plagiarism may take many forms. Copying information from one source and presenting it in a paper or report without the use of footnotes or direct mention of the source in the body of the paper is one common form of plagiarism. Using another author’s ideas without proper acknowledgement may also be considered plagiarism. It is also unacceptable to submit another person's paper or examination as your own.

You should be aware that the university subscribes to plagiarism detection software, and that your papers may be selected for plagiarism checking. In instances of plagiarism or other forms of academic dishonesty, instructors may impose academic sanctions. Allegations of plagiarism or other forms of academic dishonesty are also subject to investigation and additional conduct sanctions under the Student Conduct Code Policy #1020 and Procedure #112.

If you have questions about the use of footnotes or other notations, talk to your instructor, consult the Library and Information Services website, or seek assistance in the proper way of writing a paper by contacting the Writing Center.

Students who believe that they have been falsely accused of plagiarism should contact the Ombudsperson for assistance.

Preventing Plagiarism

Take these steps to be proactive about preventing plagiarism:

Reference & Research Assistance Desk: 651-793-1614
Foundational writing and research course options, e.g.:
INFS 115: Informal Access (2 credit course)
Writing 101: Introduction to College Writing (3 credit course)

Return to top

Prior Learning Assessment and Student Directed Learning

Metropolitan State University recognizes prior learning you may acquire outside the traditional classroom, such as learning gained through your work, community, family responsibilities, travel, military service, conferences and other non-college-sponsored educational opportunities.   There are processes in place to evaluate your prior learning for university credit as well as to complement prior learning which might not be university level with new learning, through a process of Student Directed Learning (SDL).

The first step toward having prior learning recognized is attending the one-credit workshop "Getting Credit for What You Know." Faculty in the workshop will help you identify areas for which you can be assessed for prior learning.  Afterwards, you will consult with a resident or community faculty member in the discipline who will evaluate your learning and provide guidance about any additional work you might need to earn the credit.

The appropriate department must approve your learning before you register.  A prior or student-directed learning form, describing the learning, signed by the department chair or designated representative, must be attached to each registration form.  Students can call First College at 651-793-1783 or e-mail fc.info@metrostate.edu for additional information and assistance.

Students must officially drop or withdraw from the university in order to be eligible for a refund. Certain fees, such as the admissions application fee, graduation, orientation and transcript fees are non-refundable for all students. Financial aid recipients are strongly advised to contact the Financial Aid Office before they drop or withdraw from courses to discuss any financial aid implications of this decision.

When you register for a class, you are reserving university resources for yourself, and it is assumed that you will attend the class. The university invests resources in your enrollment, even if you do not attend the entire course. Thus, the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System has adopted the following refund schedule.

Full refunds for fall and spring term courses will be granted as follows:

  • Courses dropped through the end of the first week of the term
  • Courses beginning the second week of the term or later—within one business day of the first class session

Full refunds for summer term course will be granted as follows:

  • First and full summer session courses dropped through the end of the first week of the term
  • Second summer session courses dropped through the end of the first week of the second session
  • Courses beginning the second week of the term or later that is not a second summer session —within one business day of the first class session

Return to top


Registration windows (the period of time when students can begin registering for classes) are assigned based on the total number of completed credits (combined transfer credits and Metropolitan State University credits). Registration windows can be found online.  Students may not register earlier than their scheduled registration window.

Students register online through Student e-Services.  Instructions for registering online are available online.

Registration Appeals

Students are responsible for knowing and adhering to all Metropolitan State University policies and procedures.  However, in some cases, students who have experienced extenuating circumstances beyond their control, or have experienced an administrative situation that prevented them from successfully completing a course may petition the Registration Appeals Committee for a retroactive drop or withdrawal. The decision of the committee is final. 

Students receiving financial aid should also contact the Financial Aid Office to determine the impact of their request on their financial aid package. There is a signature block on the appeal form for a financial aid representative to sign. The Registration Appeals Committee will not process appeals for students with financial aid unless their form is signed by a Metropolitan State University financial aid representative.

The Registration Appeal form is available online or by contacting the Gateway Student Services Center.

Registration for Coursework at Other Institutions

Admitted students may take coursework at other institutions to meet university requirements. See your advisor to be sure the course(s) meets your degree objective. Students register and pay for the course at the other institution. Coursework at other institutions must be completed at a D grade level or higher.

Coursework Taken at non-MNSCU Institutions

An official transcript must be sent to the Admissions Office from any non-MNSCU institutions upon completion of the course(s).

Coursework Taken at MNSCU Institutions

A transfer update request must be submitted to Metropolitan State University upon completion of the course(s). Students receiving financial aid must complete and submit the Visiting Student Consortium Agreement, available on line or in-person at the Financial Aid Office.

Official Withdrawal

Official withdrawal is defined as terminating enrollment in all registered courses for an academic semester. A student must request that an official withdrawal from Metropolitan State University be processed. Dropping courses via Student e-Services or in-person does not initiate an official withdrawal.

To formally withdraw from the university, students must submit a written request to the Gateway Student Services Center at gateway@metrostate.edu or by fax at 651-793-1235. The following information is needed for withdrawal processing: full name, mailing address (where the refund, if any, will be sent) daytime telephone number, student ID number and the academic term of withdrawal.

For more information, contact the Gateway Student Services Center at gateway@metrostate.edu or 651-793-1300.

Refunds for Title IV financial aid recipients are determined by federal guidelines, which supersede these guidelines. Federal regulations require Metropolitan State University to give first priority to repaying financial aid programs in the event of a refund of tuition and fees resulting from withdrawal from the university.

Return to top

Safety Services

Emergencies and Crimes

The R U Ready website is a one-stop for safety alerts and offers valuable information on a variety of emergency preparation procedures.  You will always be able to find the latest alert information with just a single click on the university's website.

Medical rescue, fire, and police should be contacted during an emergency by dialing 9-911 from inside the Minneapolis and Saint Paul campuses, and the Midway Centers. Safety Officers and / or municipal police and emergency personnel will respond to emergencies occurring in facilities used by the university. After calling 9-911 it is important that you contact the safety officer at that location to assist in the emergency.  See Safety Officer contact numbers.

Safety / Escort Services

University Safety Officers are available to assist you in protecting yourself by providing regular foot patrols, safety and security alerts and notices, as well as various safety and security posters and brochures. However, only you can protect yourself by being aware of your surroundings and taking appropriate steps in preventing crime from happening. Call for an escort, for example, to and from the parking areas on the Minneapolis and Saint Paul Campuses, and the Midway Center.

Security Service Contact Numbers

Saint Paul Campus

  • Safety Desk: 651-793-1717
    • Cell Phone: 651-775-0444
  • Library and Learning Center Cell: 651-775-0715

Midway Center

  • Cell Phone 651-775-6122

Minneapolis Campus

  • Non-emergency: 612-659-6910
  • Emergency: 612-659-6900

Any safety interests or concerns should be reported to the Director of Safety and Security at 651-793-1725.

Crime Report

Each year the Safety and Security Office creates and publishes an annual Campus Crime Report offering 3 years of campus crime statistics.  The Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act requires that this report includes crime categories relating to homicides, sex offences (forcible and nonforcible), robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, arson, liquor/drug/weapon offences and hate crimes or crimes of prejudice. 

This report further includes policies relating to emergency response and evacuations, emergency notifications, safety programs, and procedures to follow in response to criminal activities.  Information relating to the notification of registered sex offenders that are enrolled or employed by this university can be obtained by visiting the MN Department of Corrections Level 3 Sex Offender Information website.

The Metropolitan State University Campus Safety Report is located online.  It can also be obtained in a hard-copy form from the safety literature display cases in St. Paul, Mpls and Midway campuses, or from the Security Office in Founders Hall on the St. Paul Campus.  Upon request to 651-793-1725, it can be mailed out to students, perspective students and employees.  It is also available in alternative formats through Disability and Special Services at 651-793-1540 or 651-772-7687 (TTY).

Return to top

Smoking in University Facilities

Smoking and / or tobacco use is prohibited throughout all indoor space owned, leased, rented or donated for the use of Metropolitan State University. Smoking and / or use of smokeless tobacco is also prohibited anywhere on the Saint Paul campus. "Smoking" and "Tobacco Use" include use of lighted and electronic cigarettes, cigars, and pipes; any other lighted or non-lit smoking materials; chew and snuff. Refer to University Policy 1070, Smoking Policy, for further information.

Nothing in this policy shall prohibit the lighting of tobacco by an adult as a part of a traditional Native American spiritual or cultural ceremony as permitted by Minnesota Statutes 1997, 144.4165. For the purpose of this section, a Native American is a person who is a member of a Native American tribe. Arrangements for such ceremonies must conform to local fire code requirements and be approved by the Facility Use and Scheduling office in advance.

Return to top

Student Conduct Code

Students at Metropolitan State University deserve the opportunity to pursue an education, and it is the responsibility of the university to provide an environment that promotes learning and protects the safety and well-being of the university community. Therefore, the university establishes this Student Conduct Code. Any action by a student that interferes with the education of any other student or interferes with the operations of the university in carrying out its responsibility to provide an education will be considered a violation of this code.
- Student Conduct Code University Policy #1020 (A)

The Student Code of Conduct balances individual student due process rights with the broader interests of the safety, wellbeing and academic integrity of the university community. The Office of Judicial Affairs operates with the philosophy of balancing the need for student accountability with the opportunity for education and making amends.

Students are encouraged to review the Student Conduct Code University Policy #1020 and Procedure #112 to understand their rights and responsibilities under the Code.

Complaints of alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct may be reported by any member of the university community, including administration, faculty, staff and other students. Reports of alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct can be made to the Dean of Students or to the Office of Judicial Affairs. The Dean of Students must first authorize any formal conduct code investigations before the Office of Judicial Affairs may proceed, but either office is available to take reports and for consultation. In some situations, issues may be resolved informally rather than through the formal conduct process. A report may be submitted by completing the student misconduct reporting form or by email, phone or in person.

Student Complaint

This procedure and policy do not apply to complaints subject to different procedures such as a grade appeal, student complaints regarding discrimination, harassment, or student conduct.

For a student who wishes to file a complaint with the University, please refer to Student Complaints and Grievances University Procedure #303 and Student Complaints and Grievances University Policy #3030.

Step 1: The first step should be to try to resolve concerns directly and informally with the person(s) involved. Often, talking directly with the person(s) involved helps to clarify the issues and reveal the resolution.

Step 2: If there is no resolution at Step 1, a written or verbal complaint may be submitted to the direct supervisor of the person(s) involved. The Ombudsperson may assist students in identifying the person to whom a complaint may be submitted. In the case of complaints of an academic nature, contact the department chair who will work with the appropriate dean. The supervisor/chair/dean will review the facts of the complaint with the complainant, the person(s) involved, and others as deemed appropriate, and communicate a response to all parties.

Complaints which cannot be resolved as indicated above can be submitted here using the “Complaint” subject area. You will receive a preliminary response within 2 business days

See the MnSCU Notice of Student Complaint Process.

Return to top

Update Personal Information

If your address, phone number, etc. have changed, you are responsible for updating this information via Student e-Services.  If you experience difficulty logging in or updating information, please contact the Gateway Student Services Center at gateway@metrostate.edu or 651-793-1300.

Notifying the university of address and / or telephone changes ensures proper corrections on your records. This is also necessary for prompt notice of scheduling changes for classes or workshops you may be registered for. View the Student Records webpage for more information on changing contact information.

Return to top

Brooklyn Park - Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Education Center Minneapolis Campus Midway Center Saint Paul Campus Saint Paul Campus