• Apply for Admission
  • Explore Programs and Courses
  • Pathway to Student Services
  • Resources and Library Services
  • Alumni, Friends, and Community

Metropolitan State University is committed to assisting our students in obtaining their veterans educational benefits.Thank you to you and your family for your dedication, sacrifice, and service to our country.

The following information will help you obtain your benefits.

Step 1: Meet with the Veterans and Military Student Service/Retention Advisor

If you are new to Metropolitan State or are applying for for the first time, it is recommended that you make an appointment by calling 651-793-1305.

Step 2: Complete the Veteran Enrollment Certificate

Section 1: Student Information
 This section must be completed in full. Your student ID can be found the front of your student ID card.

Section 2: Benefits Program
Eligibility criteria and benefit amounts vary for VA programs from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA).

You will find explanations of the specifics at the links below (monthly stipends, eligibility periods and other documentation required to receive benefits):

Verification for Chapter 30, 1607, and 1606 recipients: Once you are certified, you must verify your enrollment with the USDVAat the end of each month before you will receive payment. Be sure to verify exact start and end dates for any session classes that are shorter or extend beyond the regular semester.

To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.

If you notice either class dates or credit amounts are incorrect while verifying please contact the Veteran Certifying Official by e-mail or phone (651-793-1226).

Section 3: Enrollment Information
Credit load requirements:





12 or more credits

8 or more credits

Three quarter-time

9-11 credits

6-7 credits


6-8 credits

4-5 credits


5 credits or less

3 credits or less

Changes in registration: You are responsible for notifying the Veterans Certifying Official of any changes in your enrollment (i.e. dropping or withdrawing).

Any schedule change may result in a change to your benefit amount received from the USDVA. You are responsible for any overpayment created by these adjustments and all university bills if expected USDVA funding is held. Notify the Veterans Certifying Office by using the Veterans Enrollment Certificate form.

Step 3: Submit the form to the Veteran's Certifying Official, and if necessary, complete the Parent School Letter Request form.

You need to complete and submit the Parent School Letter Request form if you are taking classes at another institution and having classes transferred back to Metropolitan State University.

Step 4: Meet and maintain the academic criteria

To receive veteran’s educational benefits, you must meet the registration, attendance, and grades criteria described below. The university is required to report your performance to the USDVA if you fail to meet eligibility standards. As a result, you could receive reduced benefits and be required to repay benefits already paid to you.

  • The USDVA will only pay for earned “F’s”; an earned F is when the student completes the entire course but was not able to pass the course. An unearned F is when the student does not attend or forgets to withdraw from the course. The Veteran Certifying Official will report to the USDVA any unearned F’s with using the last day of attendance.
  • The Veteran Certifying Official will contact the instructor to find out when the last day of attendance was. This may create a debt to the USDVA. Incompletes must be completed in accordance to the rules of the university. If the Incomplete grade changes to an F the Veteran Certifying Official will contact the instructor to find out the last day of attendance and this will be reported to the USDVA.

You may be able to receive benefits for up to two semesters as a non-degree student while you are applying to a degree program at Metropolitan State University.

You must state the same educational objective (program) in making application to both Metropolitan State University and the Veterans Administration. If you change your program, please fill out:

  • Chapters 30, 33, REAP and 1606: VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training 
  • Chapter 35 submit VA Form 22-5495 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training: Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance

Send the form to the Veterans Certifying Official at Metropolitan State for notification to the USDVA.

The law permits one change of program without prior approval if your attendance, conduct, and progress in the last program were satisfactory. USDVA may approve additional changes if the proposed programs are suitable to your abilities, aptitudes, and interests.

USDVA will not charge a change of program when you enroll in a new program provided you successfully completed your immediately preceding program. These forms can be found onlineActive Military Duty Cancellation Policy

If you will miss classes for short-term military leave or military training exercises (e.g. annual training for National Guard and Reserve members), please contact your instructors as soon as you are aware so the appropriate accomodations can be made.

Questions? You can:

Brooklyn Park - Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Education Center Minneapolis Campus Midway Center Saint Paul Campus Saint Paul Campus