- Put valuables and packages in the trunk or out of sight before you arrive at your destination.
- Drive with your car doors locked and windows closed.
- Keep wallets and purses out of view while driving. Do not leave them next to you on the seat.
- Look and park in a well-lighted area of the lot or ramp.
- When you can, park your car as close as possible to an exit in a ramp, or near the attendant’s office in a lot.
- If you must leave your key with attendant, leave only your car key.
- Check parking ramp or lot for security, video cameras, regular patrols, or escort services.
- Do not leave any valuables where they can be seen from outside the car.
- Keep your parking stub.
- Walk in the center of the ramp roadway. Display a confident and positive attitude.
- If someone is trying to break into your car, honk the horn repeatedly.
- If possible, return to your car with an escort or in a group.
- Have your door key in your hand.
- Look around and inside your car before you unlock the door and get in.
- Once inside the car, lock your door and start your engine. Start moving the car as soon as possible after situating yourself.
- If you know someone is following you while you are driving, go to the closest police or fire station and honk your horn, or drive to an open business or gas station where you can safely call the police.
There is no daily public parking available to the general public unless it involves business on the campus.
- Saint Paul Campus is $2.50 per day. Credit cards are not accepted at lot.
- Minneapolis Campus is $5.00 per day or $2.50 with a debit parking card. Credit cards are not accepted at ramp.
- Midway Center is free.
- Brooklyn Park Campus, students taking classes at this location pay a fee per credit.
Debit Parking Cards
Metropolitan State students and staff have the option of purchasing debit parking cards for the Saint Paul and Minneapolis campuses. The campuses use separate cards. Parking at both locations is $2.50 per day with card. If you are parking at both locations in one day, you will be charge $2.50 at each location for a total of $5 per day. A card for the Saint Paul Campus can be purchased from the Gateway Student Services Center, from 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m., and Financial Management, Cashier's Office, from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. A card can be purchased by check, cash or credit card (Master or Visa). Students may request to receive a refund for a parking card at the Gateway Student Services Center. To puchase a card or for refunds for the Minneapolis Campus, go to the Minneapolis Community and Technical College's cStore (no room number) on the first floor of the Helland Center.
Payroll Deduction Parking
Payroll deduction parking is for employees only. To sign up for payroll deduction parking, contact Building Services Department's office manager at 651-793-1714. Payroll deduction parking cards are valid at both Saint Paul (main lot) and Minneapolis (MCTC ramp) campuses. A limited number of Metropolitan State hang tags are available to park in the Seventh Street lot. For those with a Metropolitan State hang tag or access card, to park at the Minneapolis Campus, you will need to receive a MCTC parking hang tag at the security desk located near the parking ramp skyway. The security officer will need to see your Metropolitan State ID card. For employees who do not have card access, you will need to pay the $5 parking fee and complete an employee expense report for reimbursement every time you park at the MCTC parking ramp.
Emergency Code Blue Phones
Emergency code blue phones are installed in the parking lots of the Saint Paul Campus. They are located at the following locations:
- Main parking lot east of Maria Avenue by the crosswalk
- Seventh Street parking lot north of St. John's Hall
- Library's main east parking lot
Campus Parking Violations
Saint Paul Campus
As a courtesy to our neighbors, please Do Not Park in front of homes around campus - off street parking is limited. Please park in the university parking lot. Questions, please call the Safety Office at 651-793-1725.
In response to concerns expressed by Emergency Response Authorities and responsible parkers, the Safety Office issues parking violation fines averaging $25.
Parking violations will be issued to address the increasing numbers of violators parking along yellow fire lanes within the center courtyard, parking for over 30 minutes in the center lot designated for drop off and pickup, no parking permit displayed in the seventh street lot and for expired or misused permits as well as other violations.
Fines associated with parking violations are proven as effective tools in managing and deterring parkers who consistently abuse parking privilege rights. Our end goal is to offer an accessible environment for emergency vehicles during times of crisis, to increase pedestrian safety and to reestablish appropriate parking practices.
Thank you for your cooperation and please drive safely.
The Parking Violations
No Parking Permit Displayed $20.00
Over Yellow Line or End of Row $20.00
Fire Lane Parking Violation $25.00
Parking in a Reserved Parking Space $25.00
Parked in Roadway/Obstructing Traffic $25.00
Expired/Altered/Misused Permit $50.00
Handicapped Parking Violation $200.00
Vehicle descriptions are permanently recorded.
Payment of citations is to be directed to the Cashier's Office and requires a copy of the citation. Payment is due 14 days from the Date of Issuance (Date written on the citation by the Issuer) or a $20.00 late fee will be added.
Failure To Pay The Fine Could Result In
- Loss of the use of the parking lot
- A vehicle being immobilized or towed
- College Administration Sanctions.
Violations during the same semester