Major job duties
- Assist in writing, researching and editing weekly news and daily/weekly events;
- Draft and distribute news releases, media alerts and other stories;
- Interview university community members for testimonials and success stories;
- Data management, including updating media contact lists and databases;
- Participate in event planning and staffing university events;
- Assist with other communication-related and/or creative services tasks, as assigned.
Qualifications and experience
Preferred qualifications include the following:
The ideal candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment within a department that produces a high volume of work.
- Preference will be given to a communications major enrolled in
good academic standing. Other applicants with excellent writing skills
will also be considered.
- Organized, detailed-oriented with excellent proofreading, editing and writing skills;
- Has a strong knowledge of Associated Press (AP) style;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Able to communicate in a professional manner with faculty and staff;
- Familiar with a variety of computer skills—knowledge of social media, Mac OS, Windows OS, Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat; Adobe Creative Suite a plus;
- Able to work independently or within a team, can multi-task and meet deadlines;
- Manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity;
- Enjoys working with people from a variety of backgrounds, cultures and ages; and
- Exhibits a positive attitude and models a good professional demeanor.