Major job duties
provide coordination of the First Saturday Science (FSS) program to children and families in the Science Education Center, while offering university students, staff and faculty the opportunity to serve the children and families in the community.
- Meeting with university staff, and university students to plan the coordination of FSS.
- Recruit university students to lead FSS activities and provide guidance as they develop hands-on workshops for youth.
- Connect with university students through science courses, STEM Student Association, Student Clubs, and urban education courses.
- Work with Metropolitan State’s Institute for Community Engagement and Scholarship staff to help with program promotion through schools, recreation centers and community organizations.
- Track university students, staff, and community members that participate in programs.
- Meet regularly with Supervisor and create program supply list, program survey analysis and discussion, and other work-related uses.
- Plan end of the year feedback and create workshop themes for next academic year.
- Look at survey feedback from parents and program participants and adjust program as needed to accommodate participants to create a fun and safe learning environment for all.
Qualifications and experience
- Ability to work effectively with K-college students, staff, and faculty.
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide leadership to youth and college students.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to react quickly in emergency situations.
- Ability to create and maintain computerized records.
- Must be able to work Friday daytime hours (9am-2pm), the First Saturday of every month (October through June) Noon to 2pm, and flexible hours Monday through Thursday.
- Experience working with youth, volunteering at local schools, after school programs, and tutoring experience preferred but not required.
- Experience working in team environment.
- Life Science Teaching, STEM or Education majors preferred.
Submit your resume and a list of days and times of the week you are available to work via email to email@example.com.