Major job duties
TRIO currently seeks upper-division or graduate student tutors with excellent communication and organizational skills to assist students with general assignment clarification, study skills, writing process improvement, using D2L and other technology, reading comprehension, and general research skills in an online environment.
During the semester, tutors will assist students in a Zoom room setting, during mornings, afternoon, weekends, or evenings. TRIO tutors work with students individually, in small groups, or during workshops. Our online tutoring lab enables students to either make or appointments or drop in (when tutors are not working with other students).
Qualifications and experience
Peer tutors should:
• Have excellent writing, general knowledge skills with the ability to teach others to improve their writing, navigating assignments, and building their academic confidence
• Must be able to tutor in at least two of the follow subject disciplines: research writing, social sciences, humanities, mathematics, statistics, computer science, physical/lab sciences
• Have upper-division coursework and/or graduate work completed at least a 3.0 GPA
• Be comfortable tutoring in an online setting and have experience using Zoom and other Metro State University technologies (eServices, student email, microsoft teams, etc)
• Be able to work independently and serve as an excellent role-model for college students.
• Be able to create and present short (15-20 min) online workshops on topics such as study skills, tips on taking online classes, navigating D2L, essay writing etc.
• Have organizational and professional communication skills. Tutors must be responsible and dependable.
• Have previous experience helping and working with other students. Previous tutoring/mentoring (general study skills) and/or working with students’ academic success is desired.
• Be able to help students writing across all disciplines to understand and complete essays, navigate online platforms, work on time management and other study skills, and prepare for exams. Tutors are generalist and not necessarily content experts.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org