University Procedure # 275
Section 1. Procedure
The purpose of this procedure is to establish the Graduate Council as a University committee that provides joint faculty and administrative leadership for graduate studies.
Section 2. Authority
This procedure is issued pursuant to the Minnesota State College and University System rules and regulations.
Section 3. Effective Date
This procedure shall become effective upon signature by the President and shall remain in effect until modified or expressly revoked.
Section 4. Responsibility
The responsibility for implementation of this regulation shall reside with the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies.
Section 5. Governance
The Graduate Council is a University forum for joint faculty and administrative discussion of issues affecting graduate-level education. Formal faculty responses come from the Graduate Programs Committee, through Meet and Confer.
Section 6. Graduate Council
The purpose of the Graduate Council is to promote excellence in graduate education at Metropolitan State University by providing a forum for joint faculty and academic affairs discussion of University graduate policies and procedures. The Graduate Council discusses graduate programs, faculty, and students; strategic directions for graduate studies; graduate recruitment; marketing for graduate studies; and other issues pertinent to graduate-level education.
Section 7. Membership
- Faculty members of the Graduate Council shall be those faculty members appointed to serve on the Faculty Association Graduate Programs Committee.
- The Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies, academic deans, and other university administrators as appropriate.
Section 8. Operations
- The Chair of the Graduate Programs Committee and the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies shall serve as co-chairs of the Graduate Council.
- The Graduate Council shall meet once in the fall semester, and once in the spring semester. Whenever feasible, meetings shall be conducted via ITV or other distance method to minimize travel time and costs. Meetings that cannot be conducted via ITV or other distance method will alternate among the campuses.
- The Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Graduate Programs Committee, as co-chairs, shall establish the meeting agenda and distribute it to members no later than five working days in advance of the meeting.
- All meetings of the Graduate Council are considered open and guests are always welcome to attend. Guests wishing to address the Council may make a request to the co-chairs of the Council to be included on an upcoming meeting agenda.
- Meeting notes will be taken. Approved meeting notes will be maintained electronically in a location accessible to Graduate Council members and other colleagues.
- The Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies will seek assistance from available Graduate Council members to address issues that arise between meetings and during summer months (June-August), and inform the Chair of the Graduate Programs Committee of any issues under discussion.
Section 9. Review
This procedure will be reviewed by the Graduate Programs Committee, and by the Dean of Graduate Studies, no later than June, 2012, in order to determine whether it shall be continued, discontinued, or modified.
Section 10. Signature
Issued on this 4th day of March, 2011.
Gary Seiler, Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Sue K. Hammersmith, President