Title IX FAQ

What is Title IX?

Title IX is an educational amendment that was established in 1972. This law prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in federally funded programs and activities. Recently the Department of Education has emphasized the expectation that institutions are investigating all reported acts of sexual misconduct which includes, discrimination, violence, harassment, and stalking.

What is Campus SaVE?

The Campus SaVE Act extension of the Violence against Women Act (VAWA) amendments to the Clery Act. This expands the scope of these amendments and requires that schools have a sexual violence prevention program.

What policies are being enforced?

Minnesota State 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy

Minnesota State System Procedure 1B.3.1 Response to Sexual Violence

1B.1 Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination in Employment and Education

University Policy Student Conduct Code Policy #1020 and Procedure #112 

Who can you make a formal complaint to?

Dean of Students, Title IX Coordinator 651-793-1508, Founders Hall 236

Judicial Affairs Officer, Title IX Investigator 651-793-1535, Founders Hall 239

Craig Morris, Chief Diversity Officer and Affirmative Action Officer, 651-793-1272, craig.morris@metrostate.edu Founders Hall 315

Thomas Maida, Director, Public Safety, 651-793-1725, Thomas.maida@metostate.edu Founders Hall 324

Who is a Mandatory reporter?

Any individual who is a supervisor, manager, or campus security authority.

How to file a formal complaint?

Individuals should use this form to report an incident.

Make a Report - Sexual Misconduct, Dating/Relationship Violence, Stalking

The Minnesota State Statue 135A.15 also directs institutions to work in collaboration with the primary local law enforcement agency that serves the campus. To satisfy this requirement, the University has joined the Ramsey County Sexual Assault Protocol Team. Individuals can also file a criminal report with the local police (who and how to report). File a Police Report (call 911) City of Minneapolis City or Saint Paul.

Is there a way to contact a confidential resource?

If you would like to speak to a confidential resource regarding instances of sexual violence you have experienced or on behalf of a friend or love one, trained advocates are available. These individuals will keep your information private and confidential. They can assist you in outlining all your options and rights, answer your questions, provide you resources, and support you through the reporting process (should you choose to file an anonymous or formal report).

Metropolitan State University Domestic and Sexual Violence Crisis Line: 651-793-1500

Counseling Services: 651-793-1568, Founders Hall Room 221

Michael Peterson, Interim Director, Counseling Services, 651-793-1557, michael.peterson@metrostate.edu, Founders Hall 224

Women and LGBTQ Coordinator, 651-793-1544, Founders Hall 140

Does my information remain private?

Information about student(s) involved or investigation itself are confidential and protected under Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). However, information about instances of sexual misconduct must be shared among university staff whose are investigating the situation and responsibilities for rendering a decision.

Will the accused student know my identity?

Yes, if you file a formal complaint. Sexual misconduct is a serious offense and the respondent has the right to know the identity of the complainant/victim and respond to the allegations.

What should I do if I am accused of sexual misconduct?

Do not contact the victim. Cooperate with the individual that is conducting the investigation. Additionally, you may want to seek help from Counseling Services or a trusted advisor on campus.

What is consent?

Sexual activity requires consent, which is defined as voluntary, positive agreement between the participants to engage in specific sexual activity. A person who is asleep, mentally, or physically impaired, either through the effect of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.

Can an individual retract their consent?

Yes. In circumstances where an individual initially consented to sex but consent is later withdrawn, the person responsible will have committed rape. Additionally, just because you previously engaged in sexual relations with someone does not mean you give future consent.

How will the institution respond to allegations of sexual assault?

This could include examples such as interim measures like a "no contact" order b/w parties.