This course provides a review of broad legal principles relevant to criminal and juvenile law, as well as review Minnesota Criminal and Traffic Codes. Students will learn the law and be able to apply the law to a given set of facts to arrive at a reasonable and lawful conclusion in their role as a police officer. This course also serves to fulfill some of Minnesotas Police Officer Standards and Training learning objectives to be a police officer in Minnesota.
- Demonstrate the direct application of constitutional law to law enforcement operations.
- Understand the historical overview of Constitutional law.
- Apply practical application of the constitution issues associated with evidence collection and preservation.
- Analyze Supreme Court decisions and implications for the duties and responsibilities of law enforcement regarding search, detention, interrogation, and arrest.
- Describe the basic organization, purpose, definitions and principles of the Minnesota Criminal Code.