Prerequisites: CJS 101 Introduction to Criminal Justice required.
This course presents a juvenile justice system overview, with emphasis on Minnesota Rules of Juvenile Court Procedure. The historical and philosophical development of the juvenile justice system is discussed, along with a comparative analysis of U.S. juvenile and adult criminal justice systems. Students learn about resources available to criminal justice practitioners and addresses the specific needs of juveniles in crisis.
- Summarize definitions and concepts specific to juvenile justice.
- Explain the history and philosophy of an independent juvenile justice system.
- Identify procedural differences between juvenile and adult interaction.
- Explain laws and case law specific to juveniles.
- Examine theories specific to juvenile delinquency.