This course provides an introduction to American policing and an overview of the critical issues which confront law enforcement officers and their agencies. Some of the issues which are examined include: the role of the police, management and policy development in law enforcement agencies; police selection, training and socialization; minorities and women in policing; psychological hazards and stress in policing; and police misconduct.
- Analyze law enforcement responses to critical issues confronting communities.
- Demonstrate written communication skills.
- Describe the critical issues facing law enforcement today.
- Differentiate law enforcement managerial and organizational characteristics as compared to other institutions in society.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of various styles of policing.