The course focuses on the care of the client across the lifespan who may be at risk for skin breakdown, who has a break in skin integrity or who has an existing wound. Specifically, students will gain knowledge of the etiology, differential diagnoses, clinical findings and management options of the wounds or skin complications affecting these groups. Focus will also be on the adept skill of obtaining a physical assessment and medical history, incorporating data from diagnostic tests, and documentation of assessments and evaluations to attain optimal patient outcomes.
- Analyze data collected from diagnostic procedures, laboratory tests and physical assessment when associated with patients with common skin complications and wounds.
- Collaborate with patient and family and members of the health care team to gather data, participate in establishing the plan of care, communicate updates, and to order and evaluate necessary diagnostic studies to address common conditions involving the patient with a wound.
- Demonstrate ability to develop individualized care plans that are evidence based and focused yet, holistic and outcome oriented, and address health promotion and disease prevention principles for the wound client across the life span.
- Demonstrate certified Wound Care Nurse behaviors at a beginning level.
- Evaluate, diagnose and manage patients response to plan of care including real or potential common complications associated with wounds in the client across the life span.
- Incorporate appropriate data collection techniques at appropriate time intervals to determine the outcome interventions.
- Incorporate principles of tissue regeneration and repair in the selection of skin and wound prevention and management approaches.
- Manage the care of clients with common wounds and wound complications based on the knowledge of etiology, clinical findings, differential diagnosis and first-line or advanced treatment options.
- Prepare a collaborative and comprehensive holistic nursing plan of care for the prevention and treatment of skin complications and wounds.
- Utilize knowledge of physical assessment and health history to elicit a comprehensive risk factor analysis for skin complications and wound development in clients across the lifespan.