This course is an assessment of prior learning to validate specialty nursing competency in the care of the patient with a wound or skin care needs. Emphasis is placed on mastering entry level skills and integrating knowledge of pathophysiology into effective care of the patient with wound and skin care needs. Following the completion of the prerequisite courses and requirements, learner submits material for review to validate completion of the course objectives.
- Modify the plan of care with appropriate interventions at appropriate time intervals based upon short and long term needs and outcomes related to wound healing, skin care and prevention of complications.
- Collaborate with patient and family and members of the health care team to gather data, participate in establishing the plan of care, communicate updates, and to order and evaluate necessary diagnostic studies to address common conditions involving the patient with skin and wound care needs.
- Evaluate, diagnose and manage patient's response to plan of care including real or potential common complications associated with skin and wound care needs in the client across the life span.
- Demonstrate certified Wound Care Nurse behaviors at a beginning level.
- Utilize data collected from sources such as physical assessment, laboratory tests, diagnostic procedures, patient history and physical examination to establish an evidence- based, collaborative plan of care including first-line or advanced treatment options for the patient with skin and wound care needs.