This course is an assessment of prior learning to validate specialty nursing competency in the care of the patient with an ostomy or continent diversion. Emphasis is placed on mastering entry level skills and integrating knowledge of pathophysiology into effective care of the patient with an ostomy or continent diversion. Following the completion of the prerequisite courses and requirements, learner submits material for review to validate completion of the course objectives.
- Utilize data collected from sources such as physical assessment, laboratory tests, diagnostic procedures, patient history and physical examination to establish an evidence- based, collaborative plan of care for the patient with an ostomy or continent diversion.
- Modify the plan of care with appropriate interventions at appropriate time intervals based upon short and long term needs and outcomes related to abdominal contours, stoma construction, psychomotor skills, ability to perform ADLs, psychological adaptation, diet, ostomy function. skin care and prevention of complications.
- Collaborate with patient and family and members of the health care team to gather data, participate in establishing the plan of care, communicate updates, and to order and evaluate necessary diagnostic studies to address common conditions involving the patient with an ostomy or continent diversion.
- Evaluate, diagnose and manage patient's response to plan of care including real or potential common complications associated with an ostomy or continent diversion in the client across the life span.
- Demonstrate certified Wound Care Nurse behaviors at a beginning level.