This course examines the application of evidence to practice issues in nursing. Quantitative and qualitative research approaches, methodologies, and techniques of data analysis are addressed. Research critique skills are reviewed. Emphasis is placed on the application of analytic methods to critically appraise scientific literature in the delivery of evidenced-based nursing practice. Competence Statement: Knows evidenced-based practice concepts well enough to synthesize and apply a body of evidence to practice.
- Compare and contrast research paradigms including quantitative and qualitative research.
- Select research processes and methods appropriate to answering research questions.
- Identify strengths and limitations of research designs to determine strength of evidence.
- Evaluate methods for conducting critical, systematic reviews of health-related literature.
- Synthesize a body of literature related to an area of practice.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of data analytical techniques for the type of data, study design, and purpose.