Technical Communication focuses on creating and reshaping content to make it usable and accessible to the people who need this content to achieve their goals. The course combines a survey of scholarship in the field of technical communication with practice in creating various types of goal-oriented, often task-based, content. Students learn how to use research tools to gather information on technical topics and from subject matter experts.
4 Graduate credits
Effective August 15, 2022 to present
- Create technical communication in a variety of genres, such as end-user documentation, technical descriptions, instructions, and processes and procedures.
- Locate, evaluate, and use technical communication scholarship to understand how theory and practice impact each other.
- Gather primary information about a technical topic using techniques such as interview, survey, questionnaire, and observation.
- Understand the role of technical communication in advancing social justice through the creation and dissemination of usable and accessible information.
- Describe the primary theoretical influences on the field of technical communication.