This course examines writing as a full-or part-time business. Students learn to market their writing to appropriate publications, create effective book proposals, understand the conventions of the publishing industry and edit their own work.Note: Now TCID 344. Prerequisite: A 300-level writing course or instructor's permission.
- Able to market ideas at an advanced level in business correspondence, such as professional query letters.
- Advanced analysis of publication needs of a book publishing house.
- Advanced understanding of how to analyze a magazine's needs and determine which publications are appropriate markets for student's creative works.
- Recognize original, salable ideas.
- Translate ideas into salable form.
- Understand how to organize an idea into a book proposal.