- Computer Science - MS
- Computer Science (PSM) Application Information
- Entry Level Master of Science in Nursing
- Master of Advocacy and Political Leadership
- Master of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Business Administration - MBA
- Master of Science in Co-occurring Disorders Recovery Counseling
- Master of Management Information Systems - MMIS
- Master of Public and Nonprofit Administration - MPNA
- Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy
- Master of Science in Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Liberal Studies - MLS
- Master of Science in Urban Education
- Nonprofit Leadership and Management Program - MNLM
- Public Administration - MPA Application Information
- Technical Communication (MS) Application Information
- Doctoral Programs
- Graduate Certificates
- Graduate Admissions Resources
September 1, October 1, November 1, December 1
January 1, February 1, March 1, April 1
Complete applications received by 5:00 p.m. on any of these dates will be reviewed by the MLS Admissions Committee, which will report its decision to each applicant in about three weeks. Applicants accepted in fall semesters typically begin their MLS programs the following spring; those accepted in spring (or August) typically begin the following fall.
The number of "seats" for students in the program is limited, so admissions are always on a space-available basis. The MLS Admissions Committee's criteria are constant through the year, but there may be fewer places available the later the application. Thus in some semesters it may be necessary to offer qualified applicants deferred admission.
Application Process and Components
A complete application file consists of two parts (three for international students.) Begin the application process by first applying online using the online graduate application. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned. All application materials must be received in the Graduate Studies Office by the application deadline, and will be made available to the MSCS Graduate Admissions Committee for review.
Part One - Apply Online
- Complete the Online Graduate Programs Application. You will use your Minnesota State StarID to complete the application. If you don't have a Minnesota State StarID, you will create one at the beginning of the application. If you encounter difficulty with the online application please email email@example.com.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee online using the online application. The current fee of $20 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State University.
Part Two - Upload Remaining Documents
The second step is to complete the rest of the MLS Application Dossier, either online, or on paper mailed or emailed to the MLS Director. There are five parts:
- Official transcripts from all institutions you attended while earning a four-year degree, and from any graduate courses or programs you may have completed. The MLS requires a BA or BS from an appropriately accredited institution, a major or significant coursework in liberal arts disciplines, and a minimum GPA of 3.00 from the BA/BS degree-granting institution. Please see p.10 of the MLS Handbook for more information about academic preparation for the program.
- Two and only two letters of recommendation. The most effective letters tend to come from liberal arts professors familiar with your work in upper-division liberal arts courses, and able to comment on your preparation for advanced liberal arts study.
- Your resume or vita. (Some applicants have valid liberal arts experience gained in non-academic settings, and the Admissions Committee will consider that.)
- Your Purpose Essay. No more than 1000 words, addressing these questions:
- Why are you interested in graduate interdisciplinary liberal arts study?
- How have you prepared for the MLS program, academically or otherwise?
- What subjects and what liberal arts disciplines are you interested in?
- What skills and knowledge do you expect to gain?
- How do you anticipate being able to apply the MLS in the future?
- Your Writing Sample. A piece of analytic academic writing in one or more liberal arts disciplines; no more than 3,000 words, well-edited in a standard format; a research paper from an upper-division liberal arts course is preferred.
The MLS Admissions Committee will make admissions decisions on the basis of the above components, for complete applications only. Note that students may apply while still completing a four-year program, but they cannot start MLS coursework until they have finished the bachelor's degree.
International Students Only
In addition, international applicants in the U.S. or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide this information for admission to the university.
- Proof of English proficiency (official TOEFL or IELTS score)
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 80 IBT, 213 CBT, 550 PBT or IELTS 6.5
- IBT=internet based; CBT=computer based; PBT=paper based
- Financial statement (F1 visa only)
- Immunization records
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94, and international home address and phone numbers
Visit International Student Services graduate admissions for part three details.
Submit materials to the Graduate Studies Office via mail using the mailing address below or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Studies Office
MEC Building, Office 4003
1300 Harmon Place
1501 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Email address: email@example.com
Master of Liberal Studies Program
Metropolitan State University
700 East Seventh Street
Saint Paul, MN 55106-5000