- Computer Science - MS
- Computer Science (PSM) Application Information
- Entry Level Master of Science in Nursing
- Master of Advocacy and Political Leadership
- Master of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Business Administration - MBA
- Master of Science in Co-occurring Disorders Recovery Counseling
- Master of Management Information Systems - MMIS
- Master of Public and Nonprofit Administration - MPNA
- Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy
- Master of Science in Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Liberal Studies - MLS
- Master of Science in Urban Education
- Nonprofit Leadership and Management Program - MNLM
- Public Administration - MPA Application Information
- Technical Communication (MS) Application Information
- Doctoral Programs
- Graduate Certificates
- Graduate Admissions Resources
Application deadlines will not be waived. Applications for admission are not considered until all requirements are met and fees received.
No information sessions currently planned. Check back for future dates.
Jul 1Fall Semester
Nov 15Spring Semester
Mar 15Summer Term
May 1Fall Semester
Sep 1Spring Semester
No Summer Admissions
Familiarity with information systems and technologies demonstrated by at least one (1) of the following:
- Undergraduate degree in IT/IS/MIS-related major
- 12 credits of undergraduate IT/IS/MIS-related coursework as part of any major
- 12 graduate credits in IT/IS/MIS-related degree or certificate program
- Earned industry certification in IT/IS/MIS-related area
- Work experience of at least one (1) year in IT/IS-related role, or two (2) years in any functional business role with significant use of management information systems
The following prerequisite courses must be successfully completed with a letter grade of "C-" or better before you can be fully admitted to the MMIS program and take any graduate level courses:
- MATH 115 College Algebra
- STAT 201 Statistics I
Applications are complete once all requirements are met and fee received. Completed application files will be forwarded to the College of Management Graduate Admission Committee for review, please allow 7-10 business days.
Late applications: applications will continue to be accepted beyond the deadline, however we cannot guarantee admission, though we can defer admission to the next available semester. Incomplete applications will be moved to the next available semester for up to three terms total, giving applicants who need it, up to one year to complete their application file.
A complete application file consists of two parts (three for international applicants.) Begin by completing the online graduate application. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned.
Complete the Online Graduate Application - You will use your Minnesota State StarID to complete the application. If you don't have a Minnesota State StarID, you will create one at the beginning of the application.
- If you do not have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN) please follow the No SSN instructions to activate your StarID.
- If you encounter difficulty with the online application please contact admission office.
$20 non-refundable application fee; pay online
- Waived for graduates of Metropolitan State, and for certified veterans & active military.
- Transcript showing a baccalaureate degree or equivalent earned from a regionally accredited institution with grade-point average or narrative description describing courses completed.
- Transcripts from any graduate or professional programs are required.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES.
- Electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com
- Paper transcripts should be sent directly from the sending institution (preferred) to: Metropolitan State University, Attn: Graduate Admissions, 700 East Seventh Street, Saint Paul MN 55106
After you have submitted your online application, log in to the Applicant Portal using your Start ID and password to upload application materials, and check on the status of your application. The Applicant Portal will indicate missing application items.
Current Resume; upload via the Applicant Portal using your StarID.
- A minimum of one year full-time professional work experience is required.
Two Professional Reference Letters; upload via the Applicant Portal using your StarID.
- Two reference letters from persons who know you academically or professionally (work-related capacity) in which whom can attest to the importance of the master's degree in enhancing your professional development and commenting on your ability to pursue and successfully complete a graduate program. Personal reference letters are not accepted.
Math Assessment: If you already possess an earned PhD, DDS, MD, or JD degree from an accredited U.S. institution the requirement may be waived. The MMIS program recently teamed up with ALEKS.com to create a free, online math assessment specifically designed for our applicants. MMIS College Algebra Component is a free, online, self-paced math assessment that will teach you the skills you need to succeed. To register:
- Apply to the MMIS first (see Part One)
- Email your name and StarID to firstname.lastname@example.org and request your assessment and individual access codes.
- 70% of topics must be mastered in order to successfully complete the assessment.
- You have six weeks to complete the assessment, and the assessment must be complete by the application deadline.
Admission Essay; upload via the Applicant Portal using your StarID. Your admission essay will serve as both a goals statement and a writing assessment. The admission essay is extremely important to the application review process. Submit your essay in 600-700 words (about three pages) in 12-point font, double-spaced, clearly written, well-organized, with correct grammar, accurate spelling and punctuation, good sentence structure, and clear sub-headings. Make sure that you carefully address each of the following:
- Pledge of Authorship: Please begin your admissions essay with the following statement: (Your essay will not be accepted if this is not included.) I, [complete name]____________________________________, verify that this admissions essay is my own work, and I am fully aware that discovery otherwise will invalidate my entire application.
- Describe the kinds of responsibilities and positions you have held in your past work and professional experience (volunteer or employed), both IT-related and others.
- Explain why you are pursuing a graduate degree at this time in Management Information Systems (MIS). Please note areas of particular interest in the MMIS program and why you are interested.
- Describe how a master's degree in MIS will enhance your career and life plans for the future.
Part Three - International Students Only
In addition to parts one and two, international applicants in the U.S. or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide this information for admission to the university.
REQUIRED by the application deadline:
- Official scores must be submitted, student copies are not acceptable. Metropolitan State University's school code for TOEFL is 6445.
- Proof of English proficiency (Official TOEFL or IELTS score)
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 80 IBT, 213 CBT, 550 PBT or IELTS 6.5
- IBT=internet based; CBT=computer based; PBT=paper based
Required ONLY if admitted to the program:
If you are offered and accept admission to the program, you are required to provide this information to the International Student Services Office to complete your admission to the university.
- Financial statement (F1 visa only)
- Immunization records
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94, and international home address and phone numbers
Questions about applying to the MMIS?
Please contact Shana Vonruden at email@example.com (preferred) or call 612-659-7290.
1300 Harmon Place
Minneapolis MN 55403
1501 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis MN 55403