The Library has adopted this policy to ensure a positive library experience for everyone who visits.
Everyone has a right to quality library services in an atmosphere that is safe and free of disturbances from others. While you are here, please be considerate of others.
Failure to comply with these standards may result in loss of library privileges.
Help us keep the library a safe place
Follow staff instructions including, but not limited to the following:
- Stay in public areas of the Library unless accompanied by a staff person.
- Vacate the Library at closing time and during emergency situations.
Follow all laws, including, but not limited to, the prohibition of:
- Theft, defacement, or destruction of library property.
- Illegal or controlled substances or alcohol.
- Sexual activity in public places.
- Harassment, or behaving in a threatening or abusive manner (including but not limited to battery, verbal threats, stalking, or offensive touching).
- The display or dissemination of pornography (Minnesota State Policy)
Child and vulnerable adult safety
Ensure a caregiver closely supervises all children and vulnerable adults. Make certain children do not engage in unsafe activities, including, but not limited to, swinging, climbing, or standing on furniture and equipment.
No smoking or use of tobacco products or electronic cigarettes anywhere on the Metropolitan State University campus.
Wheeled devices should not be used in the Library. Wheeled devices (such as scooters, skateboards, business cases, etc.) may be brought into the Library if they do not block aisles or interfere with others use of library resources. Secure all bicycles outside.
Exceptions: Disabled patrons may use assistive devices, and caregivers may use strollers for children in the Library.
For personal safety, library visitors and patrons must be fully clothed, including shirt and shoes, at all times.
Use your library appropriately and with respect
Use the Library's facilities, materials, and furnishings as intended. Do not distribute or post printed material in the Library without the Library Dean's or designee's approval.
Animals are not allowed in the Library, with the exception of service animals on duty or in training, and animals that are part of library-approved events.
Food and drink
Food and covered drinks are permitted. Please use discretion to keep library areas clean.
Help Us Create an Environment that Allows Everyone to Enjoy Visiting the Library
Keep noise levels down to avoid disturbing others by:
- Lowering voices.
- Using headphones on low volume.
- Silencing ringing or other sounds created by cell phones and other electronic devices.
- Quietly talking on cell phones in designated areas only.
Behave in a manner that does not interfere with another person's ability to use and enjoy the Library or prohibit staff from providing services. Unacceptable behaviors include, but are not limited to:
- Monopolizing library equipment, resources, or staff time.
- Selling, panhandling, or soliciting in the building, on the grounds, or in the parking lot. Petition-signing is limited to areas designated by the Library Dean or designee.
- Parents or caregivers are responsible for their children's behavior.
Keep personal items with you at all times. Do not block aisles, walkways, entrances, or access to library equipment or collections.
Please report inappropriate or questionable behavior to library staff or a library security officer immediately.
These Standards of Behavior are also available as a brochure. The Library Dean and his/her designated staff are responsible for interpreting these rules in accordance with applicable law and for ensuring appropriate behavior in the library facilities.
Violation of the foregoing may result in the patron's library privileges being limited or revoked, removal of the patron from the building, or criminal prosecution if the conduct constitutes a violation of Federal law, State law or the Saint Paul Municipal Code. Library privileges may be revoked for a period of up to one year. This action may be taken by Library Security Officers, the Dean of the Library and Learning Center or designee.
Updated September 2014