There are numerous good reasons for hosting an exchange student, but the list is too long for just one article, which is why we’ve narrowed it down to the top five:
1. Learning a few new words in another language.
2. Trying a few new foods from another country.
3. Seeing American culture and education through the eyes of a teenager.
4. Watching your exchange student conquer challenges throughout the year.
5. Creating lifelong friendships and family members from all around the world.
Youth For Understanding USA is looking for families to host foreign exchange students coming for the 2016-2017 school year. Students are 15 to 18 years old and come with their own spending money and medical insurance. They do not need their own room, or even a large house to spend their year. Host families have included young families with no children, families with many children, single parents, same-sex parents, and retired and empty nesters. Host families can pick the student and the country. If you’re interested in hosting a student for five to six weeks, one semester, or a full 10-month program, please contact Suzanne Sevlie at 763.280.9963 or toll free at 866.493.8872, or firstname.lastname@example.org.