As part of Metropolitan State University’s unwavering commitment to community and civic engagement, all students and employees are encouraged to register to vote, study candidate platforms, and vote on Election Day, Tuesday, November 6.
It’s easy. Visit mnvotes.org, the Minnesota Secretary of State’s official website to:
• Pre-register to vote online—in less than 3 minutes—by Tuesday, Oct. 16*
• Find your polling place and hours
• Request an absentee ballot
• Review a sample ballot, which includes links to candidate websites
* If you have never voted or have moved since you last voted, you need to register.
Elected officials affect every aspect of your life—from the cost of college and student debt to job prospects and sustainability of the planet. Let your voice be heard!
You are eligible to vote if you are:
• A U.S. citizen
• At least 18-years-old on Election Day, Nov. 6, 2018
• A resident of Minnesota for at least 20 days
• Finished with all parts of a felony sentence (including probation)
To ensure pre-registration for the election on Tuesday, Nov. 6, your completed voter registration application—whether online, in person or via mail—must be received by either the Secretary of State by 4:30 pm on Tuesday, Oct. 16 or by your lead county election official on that same date (office hours vary; check your county website). Paper voter registration applications—pre-stamped and pre-addressed to the Secretary of State’s office—are available at these campus locations:
• Gateway Student Services, LECJEC 147— 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday; 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday.
• School of Urban Education, MDWY 100B (ETC Building East Entrance)—8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
• Gateway Student Services, M-1019— 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Thursday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday.
Saint Paul Campus
• Gateway Student Services, FH 106—8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays.
• Institute for Community Engagement and Scholarship (next to Saint Johns Hall across from Carbone’s; entrance on Maria Avenue)—8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
• Library and Learning Center, first floor Information Desk— 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Thursday; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday; noon to 10 p.m. Sunday.
• Student Center, first floor Information Desk—7 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays; 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday; noon to 8:30 p.m. Sunday
• Student Life and Leadership Development, SC 200— 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays
For more information about early voting, absentee ballots, and same-day voter registration, visit mnvotes.org, or https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/other-ways-to-vote/.
Questions? Do you want to help promote election participation among university students and employees? Contact Metro State Votes 2018 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-793-1285.
Metro State Votes 2018, led by the Institute for Community Engagement and Scholarship, is a collaborative effort of Student Life and Leadership Development, Student Senate, and Students United (the statewide association of student senates at Minnesota State universities) with support from Metropolitan State University’s American Democracy Project, the national Campus Engagement Election Project, and LeadMN (the statewide association of Student Senates at Minnesota State colleges).
Help spread the word! #MetroStateVotes2018