Thirteen Metropolitan State University students were awarded scholarships from the Mexican Consulate’s Institute of Mexicans Abroad [IME] Fellowship Program.
The students were named at an award event Sept. 12 at Metropolitan State. Head Consul Gerardo Guerrero Gomez of the Consulate of Mexico in Saint Paul visited Metropolitan State University to confer the award.
To help students of Mexican origin/ancestry who often face crucial challenges, Metropolitan State and the Mexican Consulate entered into a formal partnership with the university’s participation in the Institute of Mexicans Abroad Scholarship Program. The program is a collaborative scholarship program which has been instrumental in advancing a shared vision of strengthening a supportive network that paves the way for students to thrive. Metropolitan State has participated in the program over the past three years (learn more here).
This year's awardees are:
- Christian Urza-Vasquez, individualized studies
- Cyndy Aileen Garcia, criminal justice
- Daniel Cruz Aguilar, accounting
- Evandro Zitec Uscanga Santamaria, biology
- Jose Roberto Labastida, pre-computer information techology
- Lauro Gilberto Clara-Flores, pre-business
- Maria de la Luz Hernandez Becerra, accounting
- Mariana Walther, individualized studies
- Mary Irene Chavez, pre-criminal justice
- Michelle Caballero, pre-criminal justice
- Myrna Abrego, urban elementary education
- Salvador Vazquez, undecided
- Yajaira Melissa Mascote, pre-social work