Drug-free Schools and Campuses

Metropolitan State University endorses the concept of drug-free schools as expressed in the Drug-free Schools and Communities Act of 1989. Compliance with this law is required for continued federal funding and eligibility for federal student loans. Metropolitan State prohibits the unlawful possession, use or distribution of drugs and alcohol by students and employees on university property or as part of university activities. Refer to University Policy 1060, Drug Abuse Prevention Program, for further information. Any student having concerns or problems with alcohol or drugs can receive free, confidential counseling and referral through the Student Affairs Office.

Smoking in University Facilities

Smoking and/or tobacco use is prohibited throughout all indoor space owned, leased, rented or donated for the use of Metropolitan State. Smoking and/or use of smokeless tobacco is also prohibited anywhere on the Saint Paul campus. "Smoking" and "Tobacco Use" include use of lighted and electronic cigarettes, cigars and pipes; any other lighted or non-lit smoking materials; chew and snuff. Refer to University Policy 1070, Smoking Policy, for further information.

Nothing in this policy shall prohibit the lighting of tobacco by an adult as part of a traditional Native American spiritual or cultural ceremony as permitted by Minnesota Statutes 1997, 144.4165. For the purpose of this section, a Native American is a person who is a member of a Native American tribe. Arrangements for such ceremonies must conform to local fire code requirements and be approved by the Facility Use and Scheduling Office.


Harassment of an individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation or membership or activity in a local commission is prohibited. Metropolitan State shall work to eliminate violence in all its forms. In certain circumstances, physical intervention by designated university staff may be deemed necessary to avoid physical harm to persons or property.

The policy is directed at verbal and physical conduct that constitutes discrimination/harassment under state and federal law and is not directed at the content of speech. In cases where verbal statements and other forms of expression are involved, the university will give due consideration to an individual's constitutionally protected right to free speech and academic freedom.

Reporting Student Complaints

Student Complaint Policy #3030 and Procedure #303 are not used for grade appeals, discrimination/harassment or student conduct issues.

Steps in reporting a complaint:

Step 1: Try to resolve concerns directly with the individuals(s) involved. The university encourages you to attempt to resolve any concern or complaint with the informal process and then, if needed, seek formal resolution.

Step 2: If there is no resolution at Step 1, a written or verbal complaint may be submitted to the direct supervisor of the person(s) involved. Email the University Ombudsperson at ombudsperson@metrostate.edu for further assistance or to identify the person to whom a complaint may be submitted.

In the case of complaints of an academic nature, contact the department chair who will work with the appropriate dean. The supervisor/chair/dean will review the facts of the complaint with the complainant, the person(s) involved, and others as deemed appropriate, and communicate a response to all parties.

Step 3: A written complaint can be submitted at Gateway Ask Us. Select "Complaints" for topic area. Students will receive a preliminary response within two business days.

View the Student Complaints and Grievances University Procedure #303 (.pdf) and Student Complaints and Grievances University Policy #3030.

Metropolitan State is part of a state system of higher education governed by the Board of Trustees and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). If your complaint involves a Board policy, the actions of the University President, institutional or program quality, such as compliance with standards of an accrediting or licensing or a claim of consumer fraud or deceptive trade practices, you may contact the Office of the Chancellor or the Higher Learning Commission. 

Higher Learning Commission
230 South La Salle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 6060-1413

Office of the Chancellor
Academic and Student Affairs
Wells Fargo Place
30 East Seventh Street, Suite 350
Saint Paul, MN 55101-7804