Procedure for Obtaining Accommodations

Plan ahead

Request accommodations prior to or at the start of the term. If you don't know if you are eligible for accommodations, review Eligibility for Accommodations. Requests must be made to Center for Accessibility Resources,

As appropriate, Center for Accessibility Resources will provide the Semester Accommodations Request (SAR) to students. This form verifies that a student is eligible for accommodations and states the determined accommodations. It is the student's responsibility to share this information with faculty.

Obtain documentation from a certified professional regarding your disability

Students with disabilities may be asked to provide appropriate documentation when it is needed to determine appropriate accommodations.  No student should delay meeting with Center for Accessibility Resources out of concern for not having appropriate paperwork. Center for Accessibility Resources will provide resources for obtaining documentation or, if appropriate, provide temporary accommodations. Documentation maybe important to assure that effective accommodations are provided. The documentation must address how the disability impacts participation in courses, academic programs, activities, and/or campus employment. 

For more information, refer to Documentation Guidelines and obtain forms at Disability Forms. Please note the separate from is completed for Attention Deficit conditions.

Center for Accessibility Resources will maintain a private file for each student.

Disability information is shared with University personnel on a limited, need-to-know basis. This information is maintained in accordance to federal and state laws, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and the Minnesota Data Practices Act. Refer to Data Privacy and Release of Information for details.

A needs assessment is conducted for students requesting accommodations.

The needs assessment determines eligibility for accommodations, including testing accommodations, classroom accommodations, and others determined by the review. The needs assessment is a collaborative process with students, a copy is maintained in the student's file.

Accommodations must be requested each term.

Each semester, contact Center for Accessibility Resources after registration to request accommodations for the term. Accommodations are individualized. The following information is available for accommodations that are frequently used.

Disability Complaints, Discrimination or Harassment

If a student does not agree with an accommodation decision, contact Center for Accessibility Resources to resolve the matter. Follow the Center for Accessibility Resources procedure, if needed, to appeal the decision. The form is available at Disability Complaint/Grievance Procedure.

Complaints of discrimination or harassment should be submitted in writing to the Director of Equal Opportunity and Diversity pursuant to the University's Policy on Nondiscrimination in Employment and Education.