- Academic Internships
- American Democracy Project
- Circle of Engagement
- Civic Engagement Audit
- Community Engagement Courses
- Community-Based Learning & Engaged Scholarship
- Library Community Outreach
- Project SHINE
- Middle & High School Outreach
- Gordon Parks Youth Outreach Initiative
- School, Youth and Family Outreach
- Study Abroad
- Study Abroad Links
- Web Resources
- Student Services
- Institute for Community Engagement and Scholarship
- Academic Internships
- Resources for Finding Internships
Resources for Finding Internships
Internship Web Sites: Following is a sample of internship websites. Finding an internship on one of these websites does not mean that it is approved as a Metropolitan State internship for academic credit. You must complete the university's internship approval process before the internship is officially approved.
Metropolitan State University, Career Services
- Handshake - Internship Opportunities for Metropolitan State University students.
- campuscareercenter.com - Internships, guidance, networking
- Children's Home Society and Family Services - Support services for children and families.
- Courage Center - Rehabilitation services that improve quality of life for all ages.
- Crisis Connection - A non-profit, mental health agency which provides 24-hour crisis counseling by telephone.
- Fraser Community Services - Nonprofit serving children and adults with special needs.
- Genesis II for Families - At Genesis II for Families, volunteers and interns compliment, assist and partner with us in every facet of the agency. We value this contribution and hope to offer each volunteer and intern a satisfying, productive and rewarding experience.
- Going Global offers access to national and international internship opportunities.
- Hennepin County Medical Center - Explore "Professional Education" then "Psychology Internship Program."
- Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs (HECUA) - Explore "Programs" and then "Internship information."
- idealist.org (Action without Borders) - Click on "internships."
- iiepassport.org - Study abroad internships. Click on "Internship Center."
- Institute for Humane Studies - Explore the ideas of Liberty opportunities for students and recent graduates.
- internshipprograms.com - Search extensive database of internship opportunities.
- Mental Health Association of Minnesota - Explore "Internship Opportunities."
- Minnesota Council of Non-profits job and internship database.
- Minnesota Department of Corrections internship program provides students with a comprehensive learning experience.
- Minnesota High Tech Association - Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Internships.
- Minnesota Historical Society - The Minnesota Historical Society is a non-profit educational and cultural institution established in 1849. Its essence is to illuminate the past as a way to shed light on the future. The Society collects, preserves and tells the story of Minnesota's past through museum exhibits, libraries and collections, historic sites, educational programs and book publishing.
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants - Click on "Career Center," then do an "internships" search.
- Neighborhood Planning For Community Revitalization offers opportunities for students to complete community-based research with neighborhood organizations.
- Orion Grassroots Network - Find jobs and internships in the non-profit world.
- Peace Corps - Volunteer opportunities across the globe.
- People Incorporated - Securing independence for people with mental illness.
- People Serving People - Serving homeless children and families. Click on "internships."
- Red Cross/Twin Cities Chapter - Click on "Jobs" to locate internship opportunities.
- Tubman Family Alliance - Counseling, youth and family support.
- United Way - Click on "employment," then "internships."
- U.S. Department of State - Explore "student programs" to find internships at Embassies and Consulates worldwide. Must be a U.S. citizen.
- usinterns.com - A link to paid internships, international internships and summer internships.
- Washington Internship Institute offers internships in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors providing first-hand knowledge and practical experience for all majors.
- City of St. Paul Internships - Enter "internships" in the "search the entire web site" field.
- Hennepin County
- Surf the Web: Use Google or Yahoo or another search engine to look for specific internship opportunities. Search by key words, companies, etc.
- Campus resource areas: Metropolitan State provisionally approved internship opportunities are posted on Career Link: www.metrostate.edu/career
- On your own: Are you interested in completing an internship in a particular company, organization or agency? Call their general information number and ask to speak to the person responsible for internships. Identify yourself as a Metropolitan State student and tell them you are interested in the possibility of doing an internship at their company/organization/agency. They will let you know the application process.
- Talk with people who have done internships: Friends, co-workers and other students can be good resources.
- Network: register for/attend Career Fairs, Job Fairs, etc. that are advertised in the Twin Cities area (check the Catalyst, The Metropolitan, and/or Twin Cities newspapers for dates, times and locations) throughout the year.
- Career Workbook - The Metropolitan State Career Workbook was created by William Baldus, career counselor, to serve as an organizing tool for all students to use from orientation, through graduation, and beyond in their career journey as alumni. In the Career Workbook, students have a single repository to document their career thinking, reflections, and aspirations.
- Exercises and assessments to clarify interests, values and goals
- A plan for the "active" job search
- Tools including resume templates for getting started
- Web resources for career-related research
- Suggestions for networking and conducting informational interviews