Course Description: This is the first in a series of six clinical practicum courses. In this practicum, students observe and then practice beginning skills in assessment, planning, and implementation/delivery while being continuously monitored and mentored by licensed/certified anesthesia providers in MSA member hospitals throughout the Twin Cities. Students complete a minimum of 120 hours of supervised practicum as a student nurse anesthetist. Competence Statement: Knows the principles and practice of nurse anesthesia care well enough to assess, plan, and implement a basic anesthetic care plan, at a beginner level, under total supervision of a licensed/certified anesthesia provider.
- Observe and conduct preanesthetic assessment technique.
- Observe and learn anesthesia care plan formulation.
- Observe and complete a room set-up for an anesthetic case.
- Observe and complete a complete medical record for an anesthetic case.
- Observe and practice the process of an anesthetic induction.
- Observe and practice the process of anesthetic management.
- Observe and practice the process of anesthetic emergence.
- Observe and practice post-anesthesia care handoff to recovery room personnel.
- Demonstrate professional and personal responsibility in all clinical interactions.
- Follow universal precautions in all patient contact.