Skip to main content

I’m interested in a graduate program. What do I do first?

Just fill out Metropolitan State University’s online graduate application. You must have a STAR ID to initiate this process. Please note there is a $20 non-refundable application fee (waived for veterans, active military members and Metro State alumni)

I’ve finished the online application. Am I done?

Not quite! Our graduate programs require supporting documents to complete your application. Please see individual program pages for further details. You can log back into your application to access your applicant portal. The portal is where you can upload some of the supporting documents needed to complete your application file.

What transcripts are needed for my application?

Some programs require submission of all official transcripts while others only require transcripts where your bachelor’s degree was conferred. Please see individual program pages for further details. Official transcripts can be e-mailed to (preferred) or sent by the institution postal mail to:

Metropolitan State University
ATTN: Admissions Office
700 E. 7th St.
Saint Paul, MN 55106

What if I completed my degree outside of the United States?

All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES and submitted as noted above. Please note that evaluations may take three to four weeks to complete, so plan accordingly.

I am being asked to submit transcripts from an institution I never attended. What do I do about this?

Please contact this institution to have their registrar’s office generate a letter of non-enrollment that verifies you never completed coursework there. This document must be sent to our admissions office via e-mail or postal mail as noted above.

Do I have to send transcripts from other Minnesota State Colleges and Universities?

No. Metropolitan State University can obtain any Minnesota State institution’s transcripts at no cost to you.

What are the deadlines and requirements needed to obtain admission?

Programs have varying deadlines, admission requirements, and prerequisites. Please see individual program pages for details.

My program requires a professional reference but the link to the form is not working. What can I do?

Some programs require references to fill out a reference form which must be completed in 60 days. If the reference has not completed the form within this timeframe, please delete the reference’s information from the portal and log out. Log back in and re-add their information to re-activate the link.

I’ve submitted my application and my supporting documents. What happens next?

Once all supporting documents are received and processed, the admissions office will notify the college that your file is ready to be reviewed. The admissions committee is comprised of faculty in their designated colleges.

How long does it take to receive a decision?

Generally you will receive an admissions decision within 10-12 business days. Cohort programs begin application review after the deadline. An admissions decision may take 8-10 weeks.

Please review individual program pages for more details.

How do I know which courses to take?

Once you are fully admitted, you will be assigned a faculty advisor. Advisor information is listed in e-services. Please contact your advisor to move forward with course selection. Courses are also listed on individual program pages, but we highly recommend consulting with your academic advisor to select appropriate coursework.

Do you accept transfer credits from other graduate programs?

Work with your advisor to determine whether or not previous coursework can satisfy course requirements.

Can I receive financial aid?

Yes, if you are fully admitted, graduate students can receive financial aid primarily in the form of loans. Please review our financial aid webpage and complete the FAFSA to initiate this process.

When can I register?

You will be permitted to register for any program coursework if you are fully admitted.

International Students

If you are an international student, you must submit additional documents to maintain compliance with visa requirements. Read more for graduate international students.