Skip to main content

 Register today for fall courses

Social Work FAQ

Field Education: Practicum

Social work majors are involved in supervised social work practice in the Twin Cities for 20 hours weekly during the last semester of their senior year. The Field Director assigns students to an agency or setting based on students needs and interests, and the capacity of the agency or setting to meet those needs. Students practice social work in at least two of the following categories:

  • individuals
  • families
  • groups
  • organizations 
  • communities

An MSW with more than two years of experience supervises the students' practica. Students are expected to contribute their knowledge of social work practice with people of color, acquired through their junior year social work curriculum to enrich the agency or setting and its services.

Course work and internships

Q. Can I take any biology course?

A. No, it has to be a Human Biology or Women of Biology course. Together, Human Anatomy and Physiology can be substituted. However, if you feel that your course should be accepted, request a copy of the syllabus, if this is available, or we can run a course description. The Social Work department chair can review this and make a decision whether to approve or disapprove the course. The course must address the biological systems, i.e. respiratory, circulatory, reproductive systems, etc. Courses not acceptable would be a microbiology course or other courses narrowly focused.

Q. Do I have to do an internship?

A. Yes, you are required to do a minimum of 300 hours per practicum.  300 hours in the junior CLC practicum and 300 hours in the senior internship.

Q. Can I do my internship during evenings and weekends?

A. As a rule, students must change their schedules to be available to do their Social Work internship (practicum) during the day hours. However, schedules may vary depending on the CLC site.

Q. Will I get paid doing my internship?

A. Generally no, although there are some exceptions.


Q. Is there a deadline to get the Social Work application in?

A. Yes, the program has two deadlines for applications to be submitted: October 1 for students applying for the spring full-time program and March 1 for students applying for the fall full-time or part-time programs. Applicants must be fully admitted to Metro State University as a student before applying to the Social Work Program.

Q. Do you admit students during the year?

A. No, we only admit students that had submitted an application during the admission process. We admit approximately 56 students each fall and 28 students each spring.

Q. I just want to take some Social Work core classes. Is this possible?

A. No, you would need to be enrolled in the Social Work program. Courses can only be taken in the order that they are offered for each semester.

Q. If I come in as a day student, can I switch to evening?

A. You would need to contact the department chair for the Social Work program and discuss the reasons why you want to switch. The department chair will make the final determination.

Q. I'm already working as a social worker, but need a BSW. Can I just take courses to get my license?

A. No, you would need to be enrolled in the Social Work program. Courses can only be taken in the order that they are offered for each semester.

Q. How many credits do I need to graduate from the Social Work program?

The core Social Work program makes up 48 credits of the 120 credits required for graduation. Additionally, students must also complete all GELS requirements in order to graduate. Students are responsible for tracking both their credits and their GELS for timely graduation.