This course is designed to teach students to understand the family dynamics of the person who is chemically dependent and to learn skills which will help them to work with these families at a beginning level. Course topics include family relationships and chemical dependency, and treatment theories and counseling techniques for individuals and their family members.
- Demonstrate how to establish a therapeutic relationship with clients.
- Develop a treatment plan taking into consideration the family's goals and personal issues of diversity.
- Learn techniques for working with families.
- Learn to view the family as the client.
- Provide an Assessment and diagnosis of a chemically dependent family.
- Understand an overview of Family Systems Theories.
- Understand issues of diversity in chemically dependent clients/families.
- Understand the problems experienced by all family members who live with Chemical Dependency.