This course examines global health issues that influence population health outcomes, including the interaction between domestic and global health. Students study frameworks such as vital statistics, Millennium Development Goals, and human rights principles and apply these frameworks to the definition, prevention, or mitigation of identified global health issues or concerns with particular attention given to the health of infants, children, and women in low and middle income countries. The course concludes with a study of cooperative efforts designed to mitigate or prevent global health problems.Prerequisites: 30 college credits earned.
- Apply foundational concepts such as the determinants of health, vital statistics and measurements and trends to the description of global health problems and solutions.
- Apply ethical and human rights principles to global health problems and solutions.
- Contrast the functions and organizations of national health systems.
- Illustrate the relationship between culture and health
- Demonstrate knowledge of the important causes of illness, disability, and death giving particular attention to countries with low or middle incomes.
- Identify cooperative actions to address global health issues.
- Create a connection between global health knowledge and one's chosen or envisioned professional and civic roles.
- Describe and analyze political, economic, and cultural elements which influence relations of states and societies in their historical and contemporary dimensions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cultural, social, religious and linguistic differences.
- Analyze specific international problems, illustrating the cultural, economic, and political differences that affect their solution.
- Understand the role of a world citizen and the responsibility world citizens share for their common global future.
|50||Global Health Issues||Barkey, Jeanne M Palmborg, Michelle Dominique||Books for HSCI-309-50 Summer 2023||Course details for HSCI-309-50 Summer 2023|
|50||Global Health Issues||Staus, Ruth A Barkey, Jeanne M||Books for HSCI-309-50 Fall 2023||Course details for HSCI-309-50 Fall 2023|
|51||Global Health Issues||Staus, Ruth A Barkey, Jeanne M||Books for HSCI-309-51 Fall 2023||Course details for HSCI-309-51 Fall 2023|
|50||Global Health Issues||Staus, Ruth A Barkey, Jeanne M||Books for HSCI-309-50 Spring 2024||Course details for HSCI-309-50 Spring 2024|
|51||Global Health Issues||Staus, Ruth A Barkey, Jeanne M Molina, Jairo Alberto||Books for HSCI-309-51 Spring 2024||Course details for HSCI-309-51 Spring 2024|
|52||Global Health Issues||Staus, Ruth A Barkey, Jeanne M Molina, Jairo Alberto||Books for HSCI-309-52 Spring 2024||Course details for HSCI-309-52 Spring 2024|