Disability and Career Development Theory Seminar
This course takes a disability studies approach to career development as a way of managing the massive unemployment and underemployment problems among PWDs (people with disabilities). That approach focuses on the PWD viewpoint in disability theory and career development. Managers and helping professionals receive current legal findings and employers' perspectives on hiring. Other topics include different models of disability, technological and computerized assistance, and issues of mild, moderate, and invisible disabilities.
- ADA and anti-discrimination laws.
- Career planning methods, including Internet research, with PWDs.
- Definitions and models of disability.
- Disability and career development theories.
- Employers positions on hiring PWDs.