This course is an introduction to expository writing principles and processes. Students develop skill at analyzing audiences, generating ideas, organizing and developing thoughts, drafting sentences, and revising and handling mechanics. Students write, revise and edit extensively. Prerequisite: Placement in WRIT 131 Writing I or WRIT 132 Written and Visual Communication on the writing assessment offered by Placement Assessment Office.
Prerequisite: Placement in WRIT 131 Writing I or WRIT 132 Written and Visual Communication on the writing assessment offered by Placement Assessment Office.
- Create specific and clear thesis statements and select relevant evidence for support.
- Develop unified and coherent paragraphs that contribute to the overall purpose and argument of an essay.
- Effectively integrate and properly cite quotations, paraphrases, and summaries.
- Incorporate instructor and peer comments into writing.
- Make content, style, and formatting choices appropriate for academic contexts.
- Make global and sentence-level revisions that strengthen the focus, organization, and clarity of writing.
- Use active reading strategies and invention techniques to think critically about writing topics, recognize multiple perspectives, and develop meaningful responses to assignments.
- Use principles of arrangement to organize ideas throughout the writing process.
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
- Understand/demonstrate the writing and speaking processes through invention, organization, drafting, revision, editing and presentation.
- Participate effectively in groups with emphasis on listening, critical and reflective thinking, and responding.
- Locate, evaluate, and synthesize in a responsible manner material from diverse sources and points of view.
- Select appropriate communication choices for specific audiences.
- Construct logical and coherent arguments.
- Use authority, point-of-view, and individual voice and style in their writing and speaking.
- Employ syntax and usage appropriate to academic disciplines and the professional world.