Designed to assist high school first-generation students and students coming from limited income backgrounds
During the academic year (October–May)
- Biweekly or monthly workshops by grade
- Leadership opportunities and programming for student ambassadors
- Advising on academic planning and goal-setting, college access and fit, scholarships, financial aid, employment, and college transition
- In-school advocacy
- Tutoring intervention services (Monday through Thursday)
- College and university tours
- Grade-level overnight retreats
- Monthly workshop sessions on cultural and leadership development, and college readiness interventions
Summer program (June and July)
- Community building and engagement
- 6–7 weeks of non-credit academic instruction in math, English, reading and science to improve college readiness
- 4 weeks of Bridge for graduating students who are starting college in the fall
- 2 weeks of residential living experience at different college and university residence halls
- Community service
- Internships and career exploration
Upward Bound is a college preparation program for students in grades 10, 11 and 12 at Washington Technology Magnet School in Saint Paul. To prepare students to be successful in college, we provide year-round academic services and summer enrichment programs for students, parents and community partners. TRIO Upward Bound is funded by the U.S. Department of Education; all services are free for participants.
Students interested in Upward Bound must attend Washington Technology Magnet School in Saint Paul. Applications are available at the Upward Bound office at Washington Technology Magnet School.
Upward Bound Math–Science
Each year, Upward Bound Math–Science serves 60 college-bound high school students who are from low- or limited-income backgrounds or who will be first-generation college students. We develop and provide year-round academic services and summer enrichment programs to develop and sharpen students’ math and science skills and help prepare them for success in college. TRIO Upward Bound Math–Science is funded by the U.S. Department of Education; all services are free for participants.
Upward Bound Math–Science is for students of Hmong College Prep Academy, Washington Technology Magnet School, STEP Academy and Gateway to College. Applications are available from Upward Bound Math–Science staff or each school's guidance department.