In this course students learn about the documents, practices and resources necessary to pursue a career in the visual arts. Some pragmatic assignments will demonstrate the artist's talents and accomplishments (such as resumes, statements and portfolios). Other logistical exercises will explore the expectations for the field (like exhibition protocols, employment opportunities, grant proposals, residencies and applications for graduate school). This course is required for all Studio Arts majors and should be executed in the student's final year of study.
- Can produce the needed documents for promoting one's artwork in the arts community.
- Able to assemble an electronic portfolio demonstrating one's artistic abilities.
- Knows the resources, protocols and expectations necessary to apply for exhibitions, grants and residencies in the arts community.
- Understands the educational and employment opportunities for emerging artists.
- Knows the basics business practices related to art production and exhibition.