This course includes formal and informal second language assessment techniques to determine placement and to evaluate the progress of English learners in grades K-12. It also addresses criteria for determining the readiness to enter and exit English proficiency programs. Students will gain an understanding of the characteristics and limitations of second language assessment, including the ones for placement in gifted and special education programs; they will learn item and test construction methods appropriate for students with limited English proficiency; and how to administer, interpret, and explain test results to parents and colleagues; rubrics and standards alignment with district goals. Other topics are: curriculum development related to the English learners; program planning; connecting schooling experiences with everyday life, the workplace, and further education; involving the community; purpose of co-curricular and extracurricular activities; and best practices. Urban field experience in grades K-12 is part of the requirements.
- Know how to create and use rubrics and how to conduct standards alignment with district goals.
- Create authentic assessment and portfolio assessment.
- Know how to administer, interpret, and explain the results of standardized tests and alternative methods of assessment to students with limited English proficiency, the students parents, and to colleagues.
- Design tests to measure various language skills such as speaking, listening, reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar, and pronw1ciation.
- Understand the characteristics, uses, advantages, and limitations of formal and informal second language assessment techniques.
- Understand the limitations of using traditional assessment procedures in the identification and placement of students with limited English proficiency in academic programs, including gifted and special education programs.
- Understand second language assessment including item and test construction methods appropriate for students with limited English proficiency.