Asian American Student Services assist students by helping them balance life and education, navigate personal challenges, and continue to persist and graduate. We offer:
- Academic advising
- Community involvement
- Cultural counseling
- Cultural programming
- Leadership development
- Work study prospects
Asian-American community resources
It's important to maintain and preserve a sense of identity not only on campus, but also within your community. These organizations are dedicated to helping Asian and Asian Americans lead successful lives and exercise their rights and responsibilities:
- Asian Pacific Americans for Progress: A national network of progressive Asian Americans and allies. APAP count on the support of members and friends to continue the work of advancing progressive ideas.
- CAPI: Community-based social justice organization and a direct implementer of anti-poverty programs to create jobs, housing, food, health education, youth and senior social services, to promote economic independence, self-advocacy and determination of 3,000 African and Asian refugees and immigrants, annually.
- Chinese Association of Minnesota: Nonprofit and nonpartisan community organization, working to promote Chinese culture in Minnesota communities.
- Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans: Deals primarily with problems unique to non-English speaking immigrants such as access to benefits, affordable housing and healthcare, and helping prepare Asian-Pacific Minnesotans for the workforce.
- Cultural Society of Filipino Americans: Works to preserve, promote and share Filipino customs and traditions through a variety of means.
- Hmong American Partnership: Provides services and support to help Hmong and other refugee community adapt to life in America.
- Japan America Society of Minnesota: Uses programs and interchange to enhance understanding, respect and cooperation between communities.
- Lao Assistance Center of Minnesota: Works to enhance the quality of life of Minnesota Lao families through increasing self-reliance and youth development, reducing social isolation and promoting cultural equity.
- Southeast Asia Resource Action Center: Advocates for the interests of Cambodian, Laotian and Vietnamese Americans.
- Vietnamese Social Services of Minnesota and KAREN and New Refugee Support: Maintains Minnesota Vietnamese cultural identities while working to address basic economic, educational and health needs.
The goal of Asian American Student Services is to facilitate an environment that fosters student success. In conjunction with academic and student affairs units, Asian American Student Services aims to encourage and empower students to self advocate, achieve both their academic and personal goals and graduate. Through collaborative partnerships with student organizations, social service and cultural community agencies, Asian American Student Services promotes academic success, cultural understanding, leadership skills and enhances the overall experiences of students at Metropolitan State University.
Asian American Student Services is one of many support services within Student Affairs whose objective is to create a student-centered environment that embraces and celebrates all students, particularly those from first-generation, underrepresented and marginalized communities.