This course examines theory and methods central to the assessment, classification maintenance and certification of forest health, with application to sustainable and responsible forest management. Students learn and apply techniques in forest monitoring and taxonomic methods used in the science of dendrology.Note: Graduate status required or Natural Science Department approval.
3 Graduate credits
Effective May 3, 2017 to present
- Understand and apply core theories in forest ecology including food webs, harvest theory and ecosystem management
- Understand and apply methods of forest assessment, monitoring and certification that are used by local, regional and state agencies
- Conduct botanical assessment of forests using standard methods
- Understand government structures and legislation with roles in forest management and certification
- Effectively communicate technical information between and among experts and public.