Current Issues and Special Topics in Disability Studies investigate the disability studies and rights perspectives of disability topics and research in depth. This is an intensive writing course in which students use critical thinking to research their own areas of interest in addition to other course materials. It is recommended that students have prior experience with disability topics and issues in addition to the desire to apply critical thinking in their research.
- Apply knowledge and information to individual research.
- Examine the experience and writings of a disability activist.
- Explore the relationships of other academic disciplines to disability studies.
- Know the role society plays in creating the concept of "disability".
- Understand the relationship between disabilities and culture.
- Use critical thinking skills to create a special topics projects.